If you want to start designing your packaging, branding is everything! There are so many aspects you need to keep in mind while running a business that branding and packaging ends up on the bottom of the ´ to do list´. The growing number of countries who continue to legalize marijuana is growing by the day! The choice in choosing your packaging is unlimited! But how do you start as a business and what types of packaging are on the market?
Making your brand
Your brand needs to stand out! Your customer is not only buying by smelling the product but the eye catches the first attention. Make sure you stand out and add value to the packaging, choose something different than your competitors in the business. Make sure they remember your custom pre roll packaging!
Quality packaging is everything! It often offers many benefits which will help to improve your company’s reputation. Think of customized pre rolled packaging, air tight ziplock bags, including smell-proof containers that both are secure and user-friendly. Of course appealing designs and printed labels will help you to stand out more!
Packaging to protect the quality
Whether it’s an edible product or a smokable product, many cannabis products are fragile and you need to make sure as a business owner to preserve the product as good as possible. Keep in mind while choosing a packaging that it needs to be Child resistant but convenient to use for your customer at the same time. It needs to be as discreet as possible but the label should always inform your customer what´s inside.
More and more countries are setting rules when it comes to packaging. As a business owner you don’t want to be held reliably when a child will digest the product you sell for adults to use. But you can offer the best solution to fight the ongoing products, of course you can’t control what happens when the products leave your store. But you can provide simpel safety packaging. Also this will add bonus points to your business, parents or other adults with children will remember this!
Custom packaging pre-rolls
This product is a very convenient way to smoke marijuana! The pre-rolled joints are easy to use for the customer! However this packaging is a disposable solution. People will throw it away, in some countries you can find a large variety of marijuana related trash. BUT people will see it, so if you make a custom pre roll packaging, make a good one!
Packaging for concentrates
Cannabis concentrates include a variety of cannabis extracts, including cannabis oils, wax, dabs, hash, and tinctures. They either contain THC or CBD-rich extracts. Your cannabis packaging will vary depending on the type of concentrate, but they’re generally stored in screw-top containers such as jars that are either opaque or transparent, which are contained in small easy-to-open boxes.
Cannabis edible packaging
Edibles are the most popular form of marijuana today! It comes in many forms and shapes, think of gummies and chocolates, but also THC infused drinks! The packaging is similar to traditional candies, most often it comes in resealable bags or in folding carton boxes, HOWEVER customers love if the packaging is eco neutral! So if you choose a carton packaging use recycled materials.
Embrace technology and social media
The oldest marketing rule in the book is to make the packaging in a way that it connects with the customer. In this digital era it’s easy to keep connected with your customer! Look at the QR code, you can find it on almost any product these days! Don’t miss out on this one, stay connected. Your customers can be lead to ´ how to videos´, funny videos, recipes, offers or let your customer trace the origins of the plant!
Know the laws in your country
Packaging your cannabis products to maintain its quality is not just done for the consumers satisfaction, it is also part of the law in some countries. Of course as a business owner you want people to keep coming back to you for various reasons. Cannabis is sensitive and has a direct impact on the consumer. Therefore the Canadian government has put together a series of regulations. Some of these regulations focus on the visual appearance and accessibility of the packaging. Here are some of the guidelines if you are from Canada, which has to strickets rules regarding packaging.
- Must be plain in appearance, including labels.
- Cannot display a person, character, or animal (real or fictional).
- Cannot contain any emotional or visual branding (e.g. glamourising cannabis use).
- Cannot have any packaging windows to show its interior.
- Not contain more than 30g of dried cannabis, or its equivalent in other forms.
Labelling Requirements for Cannabis Products
In addition to the regulations on how cannabis products are packed, there are also several restrictions that apply to how the products are labelled. For example, the label must:
- Be securely applied or printed on to the packaging.
- Be in English and French.
- Be displayed on the principal display surface of a container, usually the largest side of a bag.
- Contain a standardized cannabis symbol.
- Contain health, child-safety warnings, and the THC/CBD content amounts.
- Have a visible expiry date on dried cannabis and cannabis extracts.
- Provide storage guidance (e.g. temperature, avoid direct light)
Don’t forget your other packaging for your products
Big chance you are not only busy with distribution for recreational use but also oils, cosmetic products, ointments, shampoos and many more options. Don’t forget to invest in these packaging and displays as well
- Counter display: A Counter display is perfect for small products such as cosmetics, small samples or to showcase your customized pre roll packaging
- Square box: If your customer will buy more products, let´s say in a glass jar, tins or customized pre rolled packaging, it is a good idea to hand all the products out in a nice square box, keep in mind to leave the outside packaging as neutral as possible. To provide the customer with a more discreet shipping experience.
- Gondola box: The gondola box is ideal for smaller products, maybe some cosmetics or to place little jars with cannabis concentrates in.