Life is not smooth sailing. There are some periods when you fall prey to criminals and want to get justice from the court of law. At this time, you need to hire a criminal lawyer who will fight your case before the court. Sometimes, the prosecutor may issue legal notice against you for a crime that you haven’t committed. In most cases, you may face a legal charge wrongly leveled against you. In such cases, it is better to hire a Scarborough defense Lawyer to avoid criminal charges.
How to choose a criminal defense lawyer?
If you or your loved one is accused of a crime, finding the right lawyer is the most critical decisionyou need to take. If you are lucky and use your prudent rightly, you may find a professional and most experienced criminal defense lawyer. However, if you fail in it, your case may wrongly be defended and you may be awarded a sentence even if you are innocent. So, you must choose a qualified criminal defense lawyer if you want to win your case.
What is a Criminal Defense Lawyer?
A criminal defense lawyer is a lawyer that specializes in criminal law. A criminal lawyer must defend the legal rights of their clients. They represent their client in court and stand for the criminal charges wrongly accused against their clients. The responsibility of a criminal defense lawyer is to protect their client from criminal charges and save their reputation.
When to choose a Criminal Defense Lawyer?
If the court accuses you of a criminal charge, you are most likely to seek legal help from a criminal defense lawyer to defend the charges against you. A good lawyer can help you defend the charges more efficiently. So, it is worth taking the time to look for a professional and experienced criminal defense lawyer to represent you in court.
Even though choosing the right criminal defense lawyer may be difficult and time-consuming, it is best to invest time and effort while looking for a good defense lawyer. Here are a few steps you should follow while looking for a criminal defense lawyer:
Figureout the need for a criminal defense lawyer
Before hiring a criminal defense lawyer, you should determineyourself if you need a criminal defense lawyer or not. If the court files a lawsuit against you, you should determine whether the charge is minor or not. Determining the seriousness of the criminal charges can help you decide whether you need an attorney consultation or a criminal defense lawyer.
There are three types of crimes you might be charged with:
- A felony such as murder and armed robbery is the gravest type of charge. For this, you should hire a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. Hiring an expert Brampton criminal lawyer would be easier for you to get rid of the charge.
- A misdemeanor such as shoplifting is a less dangerous type of charge. Still, you should hire an expertcriminal defense lawyer.
- The slightest type of charge is infractions such as traffic violations. For such a situation, you don’t need to hire a lawyer. You can consult an attorney before facing your trial.
Determine the type of Criminal Defense Lawyer you need
There are two types of criminal defense lawyers:
- State Attorney
- Federal Attorney
Before proceeding with the procedure, determine whether you need a State Attorney to represent you in the court or a federal attorney. You should hire a state attorney if you have broken a state law like traffic violations, broken contracts, robberies, and family disputes. A federal attorney represents clients who have gone against federal rules of the US Constitution.
The main difference between hiring a State Attorney and a Federal Attorney is simple. If you break federal law, the Attorney Office of the United States prosecutes you. A federal prosecutor has more time and effort to dedicate to your case.
Talking to the Public Defender
Talking to a Public Defender can help you to determine whether you can handle your case or not. A public defender can acknowledge you about lawsuits, bails, and resources of prosecutors. They can also tell you about the right Criminal Defense Lawyer to hire.
Finding a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Finding a specialized criminal defense lawyer is not easy. There are several criminal defense lawyers to help. However, to find a better Criminal Attorney, you need to follow the following steps:
- The law firm should be reputable and trustworthy. A good friend or the advice from a public defender can help you choose a better lawyer.
- Be careful in talking to a criminal defense lawyer. Tell the lawyer about the crime and not your personal information. You should sign up for a legal contract for hiring a lawyer.
- Before facing the trial, you should arrange a consultation with your lawyer. It would help you to understand the legal procedure you are going to face in court.
- Your attorney can defend you better in court against the prosecutor. Therefore, you should let them do their job.