Table of Contents
- Can I Get Lasik Surgery If I Have Existing Health Conditions?
- What is LASIK?
- What Is The Success Percentage Of Lasik?
- What are The Benefits Of Getting Lasik Surgery?
- What Does The Post-Op Period Of Lasik Look Like?
- What are The Possible Long Term Side Effects Of Lasik?
Almost half of the Indian population needs glasses by the time they reach class eight. People primarily need glasses to correct either farsightedness or nearsightedness.
Glasses are a hassle to maintain. Some people opt for contact lenses owing to how low maintenance it is. Sometimes glasses tend to get in the way, and contact lenses are the only way to go.
With these limitations in mind, there are a host of activities that glass wearers find hard to do. For example swimming. Prescription goggles tend to run expensive. And for some sports, glasses are an inconvenience.
This is why more and more people are opting to go for A LASIK surgery.
Can I Get Lasik Surgery If I Have Existing Health Conditions?
Most eye doctors will suggest you wait till you are in your late to mid-twenties to get LASIK surgery. This is because your body is still in the process of growing.
Aside from age, there are also a few factors that can prevent you from getting LASIK.
- Pre-existing autoimmune disorders– An autoimmune disease makes it easy for a patient to contract an infection. There is also a high chance with autoimmune diseases that the body can reject the surgery and attack the eye. This may cause blindness in a person. This is why patients with autoimmune diseases are requested not to get LASIK.
- A weak immune system– As we mentioned, LASIK is surgery. Though minimal, there is still a chance that one may contract an infection. A weakened immune system won’t be able to fight the disease. This could become harmful for the patient.
- Pregnancy or nursing mothers- Pregnant women are usually dealing with a lot of changes in their bodies. Did you know that pregnancy can cause temporary or permanent changes in vision? This would give inaccurate readings prior to the surgery.
- Infant/ toddler bearing parents– Any new parents know that kids can get handsy sometimes. Who is to say that one day, a child would accidentally hit your freshly LASIKed eyes? This is why it is a good idea for any parents to wait until their child’s toddler age to get LASIK.
- Long-term dry eyes– The eye needs a lot of moisture to function properly. Moreover, the eye needs to have moisture to heal properly. Since the corneal flap needs to be cut open as a flap to perform the shaping of the inner cornea, the moisture will help in healing the two layers of the cornea properly.
- Other eye-related complications– Eyelid disorders, conjunctivitis, eye injuries, and eye herpes are all diseases that will require you to sit out LASIK surgeries.
All of these being said, it is important to consult your doctor before you make the final call. Who knows? Maybe you have one of these complications, but the doctors help you figure out a surgery plan regardless!
What is LASIK?
The full-form of LASIK is laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis. The procedure uses a laser to first open up a flap from the upper layer of the cornea, then shape down the inner layer of the cornea using laser-guided heat rays.
More and more people, especially in India are opting to go for LASIK surgeries to get rid of eye power. Thanks to advancements in LASIK technology and the popularity of the procedure- LASIK surgery cost in India has never been cheaper. In Delhi alone, there are more than a hundred operation theatres offering LASIK operation.
What Is The Success Percentage Of Lasik?
The LASIK procedure is amongst the most successful surgeries in the world. The surgery has a satisfaction rate of more than 94 percent.
Eight out of ten patients will not need glasses to post their LASIK surgery. Most of these patients will go on ten years or more without ever having to touch glasses or lenses!
LASIK surgery in Delhi has become quite popular, drawing in people from all around India. Therefore, if you are in or near Delhi, you should definitely book your LASIK appointment today!
Rarely will a patient ever get back their old eye power. This could happen for a variety of reasons like under-correction or changing eyeball shape. Regardless, one could go in for a second LASIK surgery after a year or so. However, as we said, this is a very rare occurrence.
Always remember to consult your doctors before making any medical decisions!
What are The Benefits Of Getting Lasik Surgery?
There are a lot of benefits to biting the bullet and getting LASIK surgery.
- First of all, almost all LASIK procedures are permanent.
- And secondly, LASIK is very affordable in India.
- Third of all, you won’t have to deal with glasses anymore!
- Sometimes people with a very high power need LASIK to bring down the power to a manageable level.
- There are also LASIK procedures for children with unusual eye shapes.
The downtime for this procedure is very short. Since the eye is the most resilient part of our body, they heal very fast. Doctors will tell you that you will be able to go back to working on your phone or laptop as soon as the second day. Of course like every procedure there are going to be some side effects. The short-time side effects of LASIK are light sensitivity and headache. After the third day however a lot of these side effects subside. The possible long-term side effect of LASIK is dry eyes and night blindness. They usually subside within three months.
What Does The Post-Op Period Of Lasik Look Like?
LASIK is eye surgery. Therefore, like all surgeries, the LASIK surgery will also have some downtime. The best part about LASIK is that they have a very small downtime. Some doctors say that you can go back to work in less than 48 hours!
That being said, let us take a look at some of the things you can expect after getting your LASIK surgery!
- Of course, after your surgery, you will experience some discomfort in your eyes. That is a given. Right after your surgery, your eyes might start feeling itchy and dry. You might also feel a slight burning sensation in your eyes.
- The doctor might prescribe some pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds. The following night you will also be sleeping with an eye shield on.
- The doctors might also give you eye drops. These drops are usually for pain management or to prevent infection.
- Finally, it might take up to three months for the full effects of LASIK to kick in!
Within a few weeks, you will be back to doing your normal activities. Doing things like putting on makeup and participating in sports might take a few more weeks longer to resume!
What are The Possible Long Term Side Effects Of Lasik?
There is a very low chance that you can get temporary night blindness. And there are procedures to help you cure your night blindness post-op.
Night blindness can happen because of corneal irregularities and improper healing after getting LASIK. However, doctors these days have high medical standards that they have to follow to perform the LASIK operation. This is why you will most likely come out of the surgery with little to no side effects.
Other times, dry eyes can become a small issue after LASIK. This usually subsides within three months. But if it doesn’t, the doctors can prescribe an anti-inflammatory to help with the dry eyes. The anti-inflammatory helps reduce swelling in the tear ducts.
Most of the time however the side effects of LASIK go away within a few weeks. A larger percentage of patients don’t even feel the long-term effects of LASIK.