Is Erectile Dysfunction Psychological or Physical?

The subject of erectile dysfunction isn’t your usual dinner conversation topic. Being able to hold an erection is part of what makes a man a man, and being unable to do so can hit you right in the pride, not to mention your mental health and self-confidence. The consequences for the sex lives of both the male sufferer and his other half can be huge, possibly leaving them unable to enjoy what we can all agree is one of life’s greatest pleasures.

Methods of effectively treating erectile dysfunction are prevalent, like oral medication such as Sildenafil, cenforce 100 which is the active ingredient in the popular brand Viagra. Other erectile dysfunction treatments add to the choice on the market and are readily available, but whilst they do work to resolve the issue at the given moment, they are reactive as opposed to preventative – they don’t address the underlying issue of why the problem occurred.

What is Erectile Dysfunction?

Erectile dysfunction (ED) can be defined as the inability for a man to achieve or maintain a solid erect penis for long enough to complete the act of sex. This may materialise as not being able to get an erection to being with, or by losing the erection shortly after starting sex. ED is incredibly common among men despite the stigma, and affects a higher proportion of older adults. An estimated half of all men over 45 years old suffer from erectile dysfunction at some point in their lives.

The Psychological Causes

Many assume that issues in getting an erection are caused by some mental obstacle, particularly for younger men. In reality, the psychological causes of erectile dysfunction amount to just 20% of all cases, meaning the remaining 80% is due to physical factors. However, psychological explanations for erectile dysfunction are still completely legitimate, and could include the following:

  • Stress
  • Depression
  • Performance Anxiety
  • Relationship Problems
  • Sexual Desensitisation (caused by porn overconsumption)
  • Low Self-Esteem

The Physical Causes

A more probable explanation of ED is thanks to physical variables. Erectile dysfunction happens when there isn’t enough blood flowing to the penis upon arousal, resulting in the penis not being able to get hard. Numerous physical health conditions or other physical factors may contribute to reduced blood flow, such as the following:

  • High Blood Pressure
  • Diabetes
  • Low Testosterone Levels
  • High Cholesterol
  • Cardiovascular Disease
  • Other Medication
  • Neurological Disorders
  • Obesity

At the end of the day, either a physical or psychological factor might be affecting your ability to get an erection, but it’s more likely physical.

To find out more about treating ED effectively, or how to reduce the impact of the variables causing ED, visit the health centre blog at Pharmica online pharmacy.

About Deny Smith

Check Also

How Back Pain Can Be Improve With Pain O Soma

Back discomfort is a prevalent ailment that can interfere with a person’s ability to perform …