The world of online casinos has many laws that either allow you to play or are prohibited from playing. There are many documents that regulate this process, mainly – they were founded several years ago and are still in force. People ask themselves the question: how do you choose legal casinos? What documents are worth studying to know the rules? Where can I find them? You will find answers to these and many other questions in that article.
Are Online Casinos and Pokies in Australia Legal?
According to the main gambling law in Australia, it is illegal to offer interactive gambling activities including online casino activities to Australian customers and the law applies to both skill games and games of chance. At the same time, no such laws and regulations cover online gambling actions of Aussie players who can enjoy online gambling activities at a number of reputable offshore sites. It is possible to play online gambling for real money legally in Australia at foreign, offshore online casinos that accept Aussie players. When looking for a foreign online casino to play online slots real money demos and apps, make sure it is licensed by a reputable iGaming regulatory body. Choosing a legal, fully licensed, and regulated online casino is always the best route to take. Only licensed, legal online casinos comply with the an Australia gambling laws and regulations that were put in place to protect your, your private information, and your funds. Now, online casinos and gambling companies take into consideration repurposing their incomes into the educational sphere creating their educational programs in Australia and abroad, so the legibility issue moves to e anew level.
Top 4 Online Gambling Laws Australia: Official Documents
1. The Interactive Gambling Act 2001. Under the IGA, games of chance, skill games, and mixed skill and chance games (blackjack, real online pokies of Australia, free slots no download, craps, poker, roulette) played online are prohibited if they are provided to individuals who are physically present in Australia. Enacted by the Australian Parliament on June 28, 2001, this law prohibits casino and online pokies real money providers from advertising real money online gambling.
2. The Casino Control Act 2006. Under the Casino Control Act 2006 it is lawful for casino employees and licensed and regulated casinos to offer authorized casino games. It is also lawful for Australian residents to play authorized games in licensed, regulated casinos. Residents of Australia can also register and play at offshore online casinos.
3. Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006. It aims to prevent the financing of terrorism and money laundering by imposing a series of obligations on the gambling sector. Some of these obligations include verifying customers’ identities via KYC verification.
4. The Privacy Act 1988. It is a law that regulates the collection, storage, use, and disclosure of sensitive, personal information. The law was introduced to protect the privacy of Australian residents and to regulate how organizations, businesses, and agencies handle personal information.
Top 9 Gambling Regulatory Authorities of Australia
|Australia – nationwide||The Department of Social Services|
|Australian Capital Territory (Canberra)||ACT Gambling and Racing Commission|
|New South Wales||Liquor and Gaming NSW|
|Northern Territory||Department of Business, Northern Territory Government|
|Queensland||Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation|
|South Australia||South Australia Business and Trade – Gambling|
|Tasmania||Department of Treasury and Finance|
|Victoria||Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation|
|Western Australia||Department of Racing, Gaming, and Liquor|
Top regulators of Australia by region
1. The Department of Social Services. Formed in 2013, the Department of Social Services of the Government of Australia (DSS) is responsible for ensuring a fair and strong society for all residents by implementing social policies and through national programs. It also offers services and programs that improve the wellbeing of all families and people in Australia.
2. Office for Liquor, Gaming and Racing. Gambling activities conducted in the New South Wales Australian territory are all regulated and overseen by the Office of Liquor, Gaming, and Racing. The Office of Liquor, Gaming, and Racing is also accountable for the implementation, development, and integrity of the regulatory framework of gaming venues, clubs, charitable fundraising, and liquor.
3. Department of Business, Northern Territory Government. Operational in the Northern Territory, the regulatory body is responsible for promoting integrity and probity in betting and racing, maintaining the integrity of probity of individuals engaged in those activities, promoting efficiency, integrity, and fairness in the betting operations, and reducing adverse betting impacts.
4. Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation. The Office for Liquor, Gaming, and Racing is a government agency responsible for regulating the adult entertainment, gaming, and liquor industries in Queensland. It works directly with the Queensland Government to maintain the probity and integrity of the gaming industry.
5. Independent Gambling Authority. Founded in 1985, the Independent Gambling Authority is responsible for ensuring the integrity of gambling products available to residents of South Australia. The gambling regulatory body also oversees all casino gaming activities, ensures that all gaming products and services are provided safely and responsibly, issues problem gambling protection orders, and enforces responsible gaming practices.
6. ACT Gambling and Racing Commission. The ACT Gambling and Racing Commission is a government body responsible for the prevention of gambling harm and administration of gambling and racing laws and regulations related to lotteries, gaming machines, and trade promotions in the Australian Capital Territory.
Percentage of Accurate Gambling Taxation Returns by ACT Gambling and Racing Commission
7. Department of Treasury and Finance. The Department of Treasury and Finance was formed in 1995. This is a government department operational in Victoria that has a number of responsibilities including overseeing and governing the state’s fiscal and economic policy, budget delivery, financial accountability and reporting, state borrowing, and taxation.
9. Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor. The Department of Racing, Gaming, and Liquor is responsible for maintaining and reregulating the integrity of lawful gambling, racing, and liquor activities in the Western Australia territory. It regulated the gambling industry through a strict licensing system and regular inspections and audits.
Main Australian Gambling Law: Rules and recommendations
The Interactive Gambling Act 2001 (IGA) is the main Australian gambling law that sets the rules for casino operators and all businesses that advertise and offer gambling products and services. The Interactive Gambling Act 2001 passed in 2001 by the Government with the main purpose to protect all Australian residents from the possible detrimental effects of gambling activities. It covers all sorts of gambling activities including online casino gaming and mobile slots real money gaming regulatory. According to the Interactive Gambling Act 2001, it is illegal for casino gaming operators and providers to offer several online gaming products and services including in-play betting, online casinos, and unlicensed sports betting services. According to the IGA 2001, gambling operators cannot lawfully advertise services that are banned and they cannot promote sports betting and casino gaming activities. It is illegal to offer interactive gambling services, products and activities including online casinos to individuals based in Australia. Games of chance and games of skill played online are also prohibited if they are provided to individuals who are physically present within the country’s borders. The Interactive Gambling Act limits the potentially harmful effects of online gambling by targeting the operators of such activities and not actual customers.
According to the IGA, an offense is:
- To provide any kind of unlawful and prohibited interactive gambling products and services to Australian customers.
- To provide unlicensed interactive gambling services and products to customers physically present in Australia.
- To provide any kind of Australia-based interactive gambling product and service to players in designated territories.
- To advertise interactive gambling services and products such as casino and online poker to Australian citizens.
The Interactive Gambling Law 2001 applies to all gambling operators including foreign companies and Australian companies including those based offshore.
Best Casino Slot Machines Australia
It is illegal to advertise all types of online gambling to Australian audiences under the Interactive Gambling Act 2001 under Part A7. In other words, websites serving Australian gamblers cannot advertise online gambling. But the law also states that casinos are legal that comply with all prescribed rules and laws. Here is a list of the most popular real money pokies in Australia:
- Real money pokies: Aussie players are big fans of slot machines (and slot game apps) or as they call them pokies especially modern video pokies and progressive jackpot pokies. Local players can access a wide range of pokies at online casinos that cater to Australian players. Accessing and playing such games by casinos located outside of Australia is not illegal.
- Offline casino: Australian players have an excellent selection of offline casinos offering pokies real slots to choose from. Unlike traditional online casinos, playing at an offline casino does not require being connected to the internet. Offline casinos are physical gambling platforms that offer all sorts of casino games that players can enjoy without being connected to the internet. The same law that applies to online casinos also applies to offline casinos in Australia. They are not illegal by following all the rules and obligations.
- Online casinos: Online casino gaming activities in Australia are limited to several licensed, registered sites. Aussie players can register and play legally at foreign, offshore online casinos while websites registered in Australia cannot provide online casino gaming activities to Australian residents.
- Land-based casinos: Australia is home to many legal, licensed, and regulated land-based casinos that offer loads of different casino games including blackjack, baccarat, poker, and online slots real money pokies. Speaking of pokies, it is estimated that over 200,000 pokies alone are in operation across Australia. They are gaming venues physically located across Australia. In Australia, land-based casinos are licensed and regulated by respective regulatory bodies. Australian land-based casinos offer all sorts of casino games including pokies win real money slots demo games and apps, poker, and table games.
- Electronic real money pokies machines: The vast majority of profits and wealth from the gambling industry comes from electronic gaming machines or casinos online real money. It is estimated that over 600,000 Australian residents play electronic gaming machines weekly and this does not come as a surprise considering all land-based casinos offer such legal casino real money games.
- Wagering and sports betting: Under the Interactive Gambling Act 2001, lotteries, racing, and sports betting are the online gambling forms that are legal. In other words, Australian sports bettors can bet one hundred percent legally at licensed, regulated sports betting sites.
- Lotteries: In Australia, betting on the lottery is legal across all territories except South Australia. Lottery operators are regulated and licensed at a territory or state level.
According to the Interactive Gambling Act 2001, all registered companies that comply with the obligations that are prescribed in the documents legally provide the following list of online pokies:
- 5-Reeled video pokies: Modern video pokies with 5 reels and at least 10 paylines, offering a great range of bonuses including free spins, wilds, multipliers, and more.
- Megaways video pokies: Video real money pokies that rely on Megaways gaming engines to produce thousands of paylines, feature bonus rounds.
- Progressive jackpot pokies: Video real money pokies with progressive jackpots that often grant life-changing cash prizes, benefit from bonuses.
- 3-Reeled classic pokies: Classic 3-reeled, fruit-themed games with lucky sevens, bells, and other traditional symbols, may feature substitute symbols.
Top 5 Legal Casino Companies in Australia
|Tabcorp Holdings Limited||1994||AUD 5.482 billion||David Attenborough|
|The Star Entertainment Group Limited||2011||2.3 billion AUD||Matt Bequier|
|Crown Resorts Limited||May 31, 2007||A$4.71 billion||Southbank, Melbourne, Australia|
|Sportsbet Pty Limited||1999||$1.20 billion||Melbourne, Australia|
|BetEasy Pty Limited||2014||$167.87 million||Melbourne, Australia|
Basic company data
1. Tabcorp Holdings Limited (Tabcorp). Tabcorp Holdings Limited is one of the biggest gambling and entertainment companies in Australia with over five thousand employees. It was founded in Melbourne, Australia in 1994, and ever since it has been the biggest provider of casino services and products in Australia including keno games and lotteries. Tabcorp Holdings Limited operates several brands including the NSW Lotteries, Tatts, SA Lotteries, and Golden Casket.
2. The Star Entertainment Group Limited (The Star). It is a prominent entertainment and gambling company founded in 2011 in Brisbane Australia. The company both owns and operates the Star Gold Coast venue, the Treasury Casino & Hotel, and The Star Sydney. For the Queensland Government, the Star Entertainment Group Limited operates the Gold Coast Convention & Exhibition Centre.
3. Crown Resorts Limited (Crown Resorts). One of the biggest companies in the casino real money pokies and entertainment industry in Australia, Crown Resorts Limited operates and owns two iconic gambling complexes including Crown Perth and Crown Melbourne. Outside of Australia, Crown Resorts Limited operates Crown Aspinalls, a casino venue located in London.
4. Sportsbet Pty Limited (Sportsbet). Established over two decades ago in 1999, Sportsbet Pty Limited is a renowned Australian company that provides all sorts of online sports betting services. Sportsbet Pty Limited operates one of the most popular online sports betting sites in Australia, Sportsbet.com.au that in 2019 had over one million active bettors.
5. BetEasy Pty Limited. BetEasy Pty Limited is an Australian company founded in 2014 that offers racing and sports betting services and products in the Northern Territory. In September 2020, its BetEasy site merged with Sportsbet Pty Limited-owned and operated Sportsbet. Aristocrat Leisure Limited, Ainsworth Game Technology, Scientific Games Australia, Konami Australia, International Game Technology (IGT), Aruze Australia: Australian slot fans can enjoy a plethora of Aristocrat, Ainsworth Game Technology, Scientific Games, Konami, IGT, and Aruze Australia online pokies real money. Aruze Gaming Australia offers all sorts of mechanical and video slots alongside table games and more. Aristocrat Leisure Limited is one of the leading developers and providers of real money pokies products and solutions and has been for many decades. Based in Sydney, Ainsworth Game Technology has been delivering top-notch gaming products since 1995. One of the world’s leaders in the lottery and casino industries is Scientific Games that has been operational for over eighty years through its partner companies. Based in Australia, Konami Australia focuses on the development of online pokies win real money slots. International Game Technology (IGT) founded in 1974 also caters to Australian slot fans.
Casino Demand in Australia: The Best Legal Online Pokies Real Money
Joe Fortune is one of the most popular online pokies real money casinos out there that caters to Aussie players. It was established in 2016 by Haydock Sports Limited Casinos and it is licensed by the Curacao iGaming regulatory body. Its cutting-edge real money casino platform can be accessed via all gaming devices including mobile devices. It enjoys a great reputation among Aussie gamers thanks to its reliable customer support, provably fair games, and generous bonuses including a generous welcome bonus. Speaking of its games, Joe Fortune offers a plethora of Rival, RTG, and Microgaming pokies. Its banking system offers a variety of deposit and withdrawal options with fast payouts including Bitcoin, Visa, MasterCard, and bank wire transfer.
PlayAMO is an exciting online pokies real money casino accepting Australian players. It was established in 2016 by Dama N.V. This is an instant-play gaming venue available on desktop and mobile devices. Its neatly rendered, user-friendly website is easily navigable. It features a wealth of casino games including fee slot pokies real money powered by NetEnt, Microgaming, Thunderkick, Ainsworth Game Technology, Genesis Gaming, Fugaso, Quickspin, and many others. Registered PlayAMO gamers have excellent 24/7 customer support at their disposal with several different contact options including email and live chat. Registered players also benefit from fast payouts and a massive range of banking options including popular e-wallets, credit and debit cards, prepaid cards, and bank wire transfer. This Curacao-licensed casino is also home to generous bonuses and promotions.
Aussie Play is one of the best options for Aussie online pokies real money gamers who are looking forward to playing popular, exciting free slots win real money. Licensed and regulated by the Curacao iGaming regulatory authority, Aussie Play emerged on the scene in 2019. It offers a massive selection of casino games including pokies, specialty games, blackjack, poker, and classic table games powered by Visionary iGaming and Real Time Gaming. All newcomers who register at Aussie Play are eligible for a lucrative 250% match deposit bonus while other gamers can benefit from other promos. The casino is user-friendly, well-designed, and easy to navigate on all devices. It offers an excellent customer support service while registered gamers also take advantage of rather fast payouts.
Ignition Casino also enjoys a great reputation among slot fans and other casino real money pokies gamers residing in Australia. Ignition Casino was launched in 2016 and it has managed to build a name for itself. It is known for offering lucrative bonuses including sign-up offers. It is also known for its high-quality customer care department that employs friendly and professional customer care agents. The casino features loads of different casino games that players access on a wide range of devices including over twenty table games, hundreds of pokies real money slots, specialty games, video poker, and live dealer casino games. Registered Ignition Casino real money pokies gamers have a variety of banking options to choose from and benefit from fast withdrawal pending times.
WooCasino features one of the richest real money casino libraries out there. Aussie players who register here have hundreds of pokies win real money casino to enjoy powered by Tom Horn Gaming, Genesis Gaming, Gamomat, Blueprint Gaming, Big Time Gaming, NetEnt, Hacksaw Gaming, and many others. WooCasino has been operational since 2016. Its fast-loading, easy-to-navigate website caters to all players regardless of which gaming device they use. Besides its spectacular gaming library, WooCasino is known for offering great bonuses and promotions. When it comes to its customer care department, gamers can get in touch with WooCasino real money pokies agents via telephone, live chat, and email. WooCasino allows gamers to choose from many different banking options and all withdrawal options promise fast withdrawal times.
Aussie gamers looking for a reputable online casino to play online pokies real money other online casino games should definitely check out what RedDog Casino offers. RedDog Casino real money pokies was founded in 2019 and it holds all of the necessary licenses issued by the Curacao iGaming body. Its gaming library powered by Visionary iGaming and Real Time Gaming offers something for everyone. Pokie fans have hundreds of popular games to choose from. At RedDog Casino, gamers can access their favorite casino games without registering. Its customer care agents are always ready to assist and they can be reached via live chat, email, and phone. RedDog has one of the most modern mobile real money pokies platforms while its instant-play, web-based platform is no less impressive. Known for fast payouts, Red Dog Casino is not short on popular deposit and withdrawal options.