INTERVIEW: Slacker rock outfit ATOMIC BRONCO

Hi Kyle, welcome to VENTS! How have you been?

Hey! I’ve been pretty good all things considered. Really looking forward to everything opening up and being able to see some live music, pint in hand.

Can you talk to us more about your latest single “Cruel”?

Cruel is a song about a guy who’s a jerk and knows it, but also isn’t trying to hide that fact and is trying to tell you who he is. I’ve known guys like that and have watched girls I know and girls I’ve liked fall for those type of dudes, even though everything about them is telling you they’re not a good person. I weirdly sort of admire that attitude, and I’ve wished from time to time that I could be more like that, so I thought it would be interesting to write a song from their perspective.

Did any event in particular inspire you to write this song?

I wish I could point to one specific moment or person that inspired this song, but unfortunately I’ve known far too many people like this to narrow it down to just one

The single comes off your new EP Spectrum – what’s the story behind the title?

Going into writing this EP, I wanted to branch out some in terms of genre and style, so this EP has a bit of everything from grungy to downtempo psychedelic to everything in between. Additionally, most of the songs on the EP ended up being about love and relationships in one way or another. Some are love songs, some are breakup songs, some are just attitudes towards relationships like Cruel. So Spectrum seemed like a nice title to represent both of those concepts, the range of styles, and the range of feelings you can have towards relationships.

How was the recording and writing process?

The writing process went pretty quickly to be honest. I always write the music first, and then listen for a while to figure out what the song wants to be about before I write the lyrics. I’ve found the less you have to work on the lyrics, the better the song turns out. The real time-consuming part was the recording and mixing. The EP was recorded almost entirely at my studio in London, with the exception of the lead vocals, which were done at Voiceboxx Studios. I recorded, performed, and mixed everything myself, and I have a full-time day job, so this last winter had lots of late nights working on these songs.

What role does London play in your music?

As an American who grew up listening to Classic Rock, it’s amazing to think that I get to live in the same place that all those legendary artists made some of their best music. I bought a guitar on Denmark Street, and I had literal chills thinking about all the great musicians that passed through those shops. London just has something about it that pulls music out of people, and I’m thankful that I’m able to pursue this project here.

Where did you find the inspiration for the songs and lyrics?

Musically, about 70% of the songs are just riffs, chords, or rhythms that I just come across while playing guitar that catch my ear, and the other 30% are riffs I write with a specific feel or genre in mind. With all of them though I can generally just sense when there’s’ something there or not, it’s kind of hard to put into words. I get inspired by the feeling of the music, usually before lyrics ever come into the picture. On that note, lyrically, I try to write about feelings I can relate to without getting too specific to my own life, which can be hard at times. I always want to be true to how I see the world, but also make sure  that someone else can connect to what I’m saying as well, and I think I struck that balance on this EP.

What else is happening next in Atomic Bronco’s world?

Other than being very exciting for everyone to hear the full EP, I’m working on bringing Atomic Bronco to a live stage as soon as possible.  And, of course, I’m always writing new stuff!

About RJ Frometa

Head Honcho, Editor in Chief and writer here on VENTS. I don't like walking on the beach, but I love playing the guitar and geeking out about music. I am also a movie maniac and 6 hours sleeper.

Check Also

INTERVIEW: Trippy Hearts

Hi Jenn and welcome to VENTS! How have you been? Hey! Thanks for having me. …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.