Qlink wireless is one of the largest lifeline service providers in the US with millions of customers. The service provider offers free government phones and plans to qualified persons. They also allow people to bring their own devices and port their previous phone numbers. When it comes to phone numbers, you may be asking how to change your Qlink phone number? If so, this article is for you.
In the past, switching phone numbers was a very tough process and would take days or weeks for it to be completed. The process tended to belong if you were porting from one service provider to another. Luckily, with new FCC rules, porting your phone number is a very simple process, and it may only take a few hours or only 1 business day to complete the process. This has made it easier for people to switch numbers hence attracting more customers to Qlink wireless.
Do you wish to port your number? This article will give you insights on how to get started with Qlink wireless government phone services, how to port your number, and most importantly switching your phone number within Qlink wireless network. Let’s find out more below!
Who qualifies for Qlink wireless services?
You can qualify for Qlink wireless services if you have participated in the federal assistance program or if your income is below 135% of the federal poverty level. Some of the federal assistance programs accepted includes:
- Food stamps
- Supplementary Security Income
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Tribal-Specific programs
- The supplementary Nutrition Assistance program
Qualification through income depends on your state but in most cases is 135% below the federal poverty level.
How to change my Qlink phone number: Complete guide
Changing your phone number to Qlink involves the following steps:
i) Get your PAC code
The PAC code is a unique code that you will be required to start the porting process. You can call Qlink’s customer care team or send an SMS in order to get started with the process. PAC code is a 9 digit unique code that is valid for 30 days.
This code helps prevent stealing your number and also will be used to verify your identity. In case the time runs out before starting the switching process, you will be required to request a new PAC code.
ii) Contact Qlink wireless
The next step is to contact Qlink wireless and provide them with the PAC code. The code will then be used to verify your identity and allow you to switch from one number to another. The switching process can take some hours or 1 business day.
How to port my number to Qlink wireless?
Porting your number from one service provider to Qlink wireless involves the following processes:
KYC process involves you filling in information about your old phone number, Name, physical address, and any other information required to facilitate the porting process. To port to Qlink, you will be required to fill a form on their website.
If everything is ok, you will be able to port your phone number to Qlink wireless with ease. In a few cases, your old service provider may take some time to process it and for that, you may need to contact Qlink wireless for assistance. Your old service provider may deny the porting process if you have any debts with them.
What plans are available at Qlink wireless?
Qlink Wireless offers plans based on the location you are in. However, in most cases you get:
- Free 4.5 GB of data
- Unlimited talk and text
- Free smartphone
- Roaming at no cost
- Call waiting and Caller ID
In some states, you may get 1 GB of data depending on the revenue generated by the State. The plans are also subjected to change with time.
Which areas does Qlink wireless operate in?
Qlink wireless currently operates in the following states:
Arizona, Iowa, Arkansas, Wisconsin, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Oklahoma, Carolina, Washington, Puerto Rico, Maryland, Michigan, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Nevada Ohio, Indiana Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, and Georgia.
Over the next few years, they plan to cover all the States in the US.
Can I bring my phone to Qlink wireless?
Yes! You can bring your phone if you wish to do a Qlink phone upgrade or simply wish to keep your old phone. For you to bring the device, you need to understand the BYOP eligibility rules which entail:
- The phone should not be in any contract– You should cancel any contracts with your previous service provider. If you are expected to pay an early termination fee and it is expensive, then the best option is to wait for the contract to expire.
- Leased phones are not allowed– If you rented a phone or have it for the short term, then you can’t bring it to Qlink wireless network. You may have to fully pay off the phone in full in order to work on Qlink wireless’s network.
- NO stolen/flagged phones are accepted– Ensure that the phone you wish to bring is not reported as stolen since that may lead to problems with authorities. If the device is flagged by your service provider, ensure to call them and request for it to be unflagged. The process may take a few days or hours depending on the situation with the device.
If you meet these conditions, the next step would be to check if your device is compatible with Qlink’s network. You can do this by using your IMEI. Below are steps to follow to find your phone’s IMEI
- Dial *#06*# and you will see your phone’s IMEI number
- For Android users, you can go to Settings > About phone > Status> Then you can scroll down to locate your device’s ID which may either be an IMEI or IMEID.
- Once you find the ID, head over to https://qlinkwireless.com/byop.aspx and key in your phone’s IMEI, It will only take a few seconds to see if your device is compatible or not.
Currently, some of the devices supported include:
iPhone 5c to iPhone 12 pro, Samsung Galaxy S7 Special edition to Galaxy Note 8 Special edition, Essential Phone LG X Charge, Orbic Wonder, Alcatel iDOLTM 5s, Motorola E4- Motorola Z2 Play, Google Nexus 5 to Google Pixel 5.
How to apply for the Qlink wireless free phone plan?
To apply for the Qlink wireless free phone and plan, here are some steps to follow:
- Check if you qualify- You should meet the requirements based on if you participate in federal assistance programs or your income is below 135% of the federal poverty level. In some cases, people with disabilities or the elderly are also allowed to apply for the free government phone and plan.
- Fill the application form- The application form can be obtained from Qlink wireless’s website or you can visit the nearest Qlink wireless store to fill from there directly. The form may ask for information on your name, address, level of income, and any other information.
- Submit application- Once you are done with the form, you can submit the application. Ensure to attach proof of income, disability, or participation in a free government program. Then make sure the document of proof is legitimate as Qlink may do a background check with the authorities
- Wait for approval- The approval process may take 1-3 business days. Once approved, you can collect your device or the phone will be shipped to your address.
How to activate the Qlink wireless phone number?
If you are eligible for a Qlink wireless phone and have received your phone, here are some quick steps to set-up the device and activate the phone number:
- Turn off your phone and insert the sim card- Most phones require you to remove the battery to insert the sim card trays while others do not. Feel free to remove the back casing and insert the sim card.
- Power up the phone- Once the sim card is in, power on the device and check to see if there are any network bars. If there is no network bard, go to settings > Reset or Network reset settings and tap reset. You should wait till the whole process is done.
- Do a test call- Once done; you can do a test call to 1(305) 260-6232 to see if the number is working fine.
Pros and cons
- Easy to port your number
- Few requirements to bring your own device
- Freephone, talk, text, and data plans
- Reliable and dedicated customer support team
- Does not support a wide range of phones.
Changing your phone number on Qlink wireless is a very simple and fast process. If you follow the right protocols in place, the process should take you a few hours or one business day. With Qlink’s reliable customer care team, you are assured of a fast response in case you have any needs. Qlink also does not have a limit as to how many times you can change your phone number hence making them one of the reliable and most flexible lifeline service providers.