It is soon going to be World Environment Day, and the question everybody should get asked is how should people reduce the spending costs, produce less waste, and be kind to mother nature?
Comparethemarket.com recently did a survey that captured about 2,000 people in the past month. The report was that since the lockdown got enforced, there has been a spike in energy use at private homes. The website further suggests that total bills paid could shoot up by 37% to alter the average pays by up to $30 a month. If you want to know more on how to get better with your finances – try to buy dissertation from finance experts.
Due to the pandemic that shook the whole world, many people found themselves working at home, and the case has been so prevalent across the globe. It is now time to get mindful of how you spend your energy and find ways of reducing your monthly bills. When you are in the process of evaluating an energy provider for your homes, an opportunity for households to get greener also springs up almost at the same time when saving money is involved.
Tonik Energy is an energy firm that offers a fixed rate on 12 months’ tariff, which on average, according to the company, is more than $300 less than the Big 6 providers of energy on a standard rate of variables. The above tariff also comes with a boiler service that is not 0on ly free but also reliable when you use it for the first year with HomeServe that costs around $80. The best thing about it is that electricity is renewable as it gets powered by solar and wind. As a homeowner, you can get greener by choosing tariffs that offer greener gas and others that come with options on carbon-offset. You can also opt for zero-carbon on an exaction that Tonik offers, which ensures that consumers get 100% gas usage and also provide opportunities where a consumer could combine 10% gas that is renewable and 90% gas offset that is carbon.
Tips on reducing energy bills during the lockdown
- Get your appliances to be efficient. Home appliances like freezers and fridges are most of the time left on, but you can save up on energy by switching off other gadgets that are not in use. Electrical appliances like microwaves, dishwashers, washing machines, ovens, and dryers will continue consuming electricity even when on standby. Be sure to always switch them off after using them. It will help you save up on electricity costs. You can visit blogs on electricity issues to get more information on how you can save up.
- Tend to defrost your freezer. When you leave your fridge or freezer to build up frost, it will result in more consumption of electricity. The latter is true since the freezer has to use more power or energy to keep the items cold past the frost. It is always a good idea to defrost the freezer to save power.
- Let the warm weather get advantageous for you. Instead of using the dryer, hang your clothes outside to dry with the sun and wind. If you lack an outdoor space to hang clothing and must use the dryer, use a towel to help catch the dampness and use the machine for half the time.
- Change your energy providers. You could switch your electricity providers to the ones that offer cheaper electricity.
- Ensure your freezer or fridge is always full. When you do this, less energy will get used as temperature regulation will get easier. If you lack the funds to fill it with commodities, fill the space with jugs and bottles of water.
Practice green Tips
- Cut your spending on plastic commodities. Reducing the purchasing and use of plastic stuff will do more good for the environment than harm. You can even craft your equipment that would force you to go looking for plastic stuff.
- Give support to local businesses. To reduce your transport costs, you can switch to shopping locally, and in this case, you’d be supporting local businesses, for example, greengrocers.
- Have a green mind. You could save money and conserve the environment by doing simple things like creating compost sites or growing your vegetables in your garden.