For some medical cannabis users, edibles are a preferred method of consumption for the fact that they are digested and not smoked. Some users prefer not to smoke flower for various reasons. Edibles produce strong, long-lasting effects that have potential to help with pain relief and inflammation reduction. They’re commonly sold at medical cannabis dispensaries, but some patients prefer to make their own cannabis infused snacks. Cannabutter (cannabis infused butter) is one ingredient that when kept on hand can be used to prepare a variety of homemade edibles.
In this article, we’ll go over an easy cannabutter recipe and also shed some light on the potential health benefits of edibles. So, read on!
How to Prepare Cannabutter at Home
1 cup – Unsalted butter
3.5 grams – Cannabis
- Slow Cooker
- Metal Mesh Strainer
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheet
Simple Steps to Prepare Cannabutter
- The first step in the process is to grind the marijuana.
- Now spread it on the baking sheet, placed carefully over the parchment paper.
- Place this sheet in a pre-heated oven for around 30 minutes at 240 degrees to de-carb the cannabis.
- Next, add lecithin, butter and the de-carbed cannabis flower to a slow cooker.
- Slow cook this mix on high for an hour and then on low for about 6 hours.
- Next, filter this mix by lining the metal mesh strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth for this purpose.
- Press the plant matter into the cheesecloth to extract the maximum amount of butter through the mesh.
- Refrigerate the butter until it becomes firm.
The cannabutter is now ready to use.
The best part is thinking of creative ways to use cannabutter. You can spread it on bread or bagels to have your dose of cannabis. It will remain fresh for about two months in the refrigerator and about six months if stored in the freezer.
Preparing several cannabis edibles becomes quite easy with this homemade butter. You can use it in recipes such as cannabis infused brownies, cookies, ice cream, doughnuts, cake and pasta to speed up the preparation process. Adding lecithin to cannabutter before baking cookies or brownies is a good idea. Lecithin is a fat and THC (the compound in cannabis that produces psychoactive effects) is fat soluble; so adding it to your cannabutter will allow THC to bind more to the fat molecules.
Potential Medical Benefits of Cannabis
Cannabis offers numerous benefits like reduced pain and anxiety, improved depression, and less nausea. Thus, it forms a part of several medical treatments for symptom relief. For many people living with the following conditions, medical cannabis is a common option (along with other necessary medications) for symptom relief:
- Tourette syndrome
- Crohn’s disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
While many of these conditions qualify for medical cannabis programs (depending on the state), every patient should speak to a medical practitioner about whether or not medical cannabis is a viable option for them.
So, if medical cannabis has been recommended for you by a medical marijuana doctor, and if you benefit from cannabis edibles, you may want to find sometime in your schedule to prepare cannabutter. Having it in your pantry can help you prepare various cannabis recipes easily and quickly.