Bulleit Bourbon is a premium brand of Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey. Its history runs way back to 1830 when a guy named Augustus Bulleit introduced the first batch of Bulleit Bourbon. The original recipe consisted of ⅓ corn and ⅔ rye but it has been changed over the years. The distillation of whiskey was abruptly stopped due to the mysterious disappearance of Augustus in the year 1860.
Thomas Bulleit, great-grandson of Augustus again started the production of modern Bulleit Bourbon in the year 1987. He brought a change in the original recipe that consisted of ⅔ corn and ⅓ rye. The amount of rye played a major role in giving a unique flavor to the drink. A yeast strain is used to eke out the extra flavor from the rye and Kentucky limestone-filtered water is used for the production.
While Bulleit Bourbon is already well reviewed, here is a brief overview.
Features of Bulleit Bourbon
The color appears to be dark amber when it is in the bottle. But, when it is poured into the glass, it appears to be pale amber that is transparent and clear.
It has a rich, oaky aroma that includes a bold rye flavor. On smelling, it has a little smokiness but that does not affect the taste.
This drink is heaven for a bourbon lover and gives a punch to the palate. On taking a sip, there is a tingling sensation that ripples through the mouth and has a sharp and tangy impact. It is advisable to sip this drink slowly as it may turn off some drinkers who are unfamiliar with this taste. The high rye content leaves a darkly sweet flavor on the palate. It makes the drink spicier and bolder. Bulleit Bourbon cannot be consumed in large mouthfuls and after several sips, there is a hint of bitterness.
The finish of the drink is soft and the taste is delightful. The initial spiky sensation becomes more pleasant as one gets acclimated to it.
Some Interesting Facts About Bulleit Bourbon
- There was a thought to rename the brand to Thoroughbred Bourbon but was ultimately renamed as Bulleit Frontier Whiskey.
- The label is placed at an angle so that the name is clearly visible with a bigger font.
- The company produces about 4.1 million gallons of bourbon every year.
- The yeast strain and Kentucky limestone-filled water set it apart from other bourbons.
There are different products launched by the company that is very popular in the market.
- The Bulliet Bourbon whiskey is made of 68% corn, 28% rye, and 4% malted barley and bottled at 45% ABV.
- A blend of 5 to 8 years old barrels called Bulleit Bourbon Barrel Strength is bottled at 59% to 62.5% ABV.
- Bulleit rye whisky contains 95% rye and 5% malted barley and is bottled at 45% ABV.
- The only age-dated Bulleit whiskey is Bulleit Bourbon 10 years and has the same mash bill as the original Bulleit Bourbon. This bourbon won the Double Gold Medal at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in the year 2013.
- Bulleit Frontier Whiskey was introduced in the UK market with 45% ABV in the year 2014 which was earlier sold at 40% ABV.
The Bottom Line
The whiskey is amongst the top 10th percentile of the world’s best whiskey. The Bulleit Rye Whiskey is the Top Tier Whiskey. It gives a unique drinking experience and is a good option to try. It is light and has a distinct flavor profile. The taste is full, deep, and lingers for a long time on the palate. The factor that it contains rye makes it a memorable bourbon.