Get ready to revisit the Eden Prairie Mall, courtesy of the good folks over at Arrow Video who have announced plans this very day to release a 25th anniversary Blu-ray edition of director Kevin Smith’s ode to lost loves, comic books and escalators, Mallrats.
Originally released in 1995 to withering reviews and abysmal box office, Smith’s follow-up to his calling card masterpiece Clerks seemed at the time a noble yet misguided failure by the talented wordsmith. Yet over the years, Mallrats has persevered and garnered a bevy of fans. They’re not deluded; the years have been kind to the sort of-kind of sequel to Clerks (technically more of a prequel as it takes place one day before Brian O’Halloran’s and Jeff Anderson’s day in retail purgatory). The heavy comic book references peppered within the movie now seem practically salient in light of the renaissance that four colored medium has since received in cinemas across the globe, and the acting amongst such stalwarts as Jeremy London, Jason Lee, Ben Affleck and Shannen Doherty bristles with quirky electricity. So while Father Time has been particularly cruel to such mid-1990s staples as Beanie Babies and the fanny pack, Mallrats in 2020 can confidently whistle past the pop culture graveyard where other lesser ephemeral languish, struggling to regain their respective relevancies.
For those fans who caught the film during its limited theatrical engagement back in the day, and for all of those latter day fans of Smith’s film who wish they had been as salient as those prophetic seers (I reluctantly cop to being the latter. Sigh.), Arrow Films has quite possibly rescued 2020 from its current dumpster fire occupancy by announcing a September 29 release of a DELUXE (and brothers and sisters, we do not overstate) Blu-ray edition of the formerly maligned Mallrats.
Special features include the following:
- A brand new restoration by the fine folks at Arrow Films of not only the original theatrical edition, but also of the extended cuts of the film. All restoration was done with the full sign-off of the one and only Kevin Smith and uber cinematographer David Klein.
- A newly assembled TV version of Mallrats featuring – and I quote – “hilarious overdubbing to cover up profanity.” Ah, you just gotta love those scissor happy editors at the major networks (I still shudder to think of the edited television version of such classics as Stand By Me and Platoon. Brutal – BRRRR!)
- A High Def (1080p) Blu-ray presentation.
- Collector’s booklet.
- A nifty fold out poster showcasing an exact reprinting of the infamous Operation Drive-By and Operation Dark Knight.
- Audio commentary with Kevin Smith, Scott Mosier, Vincent Pereira, Jason Lee, Ben Affleck and Jason Mewes.
- A brand spanking new intro by Smith.
- An all-new interview with Smith entitled My Mallrat Memories.
- A fitting tribute to the legendary producer Jim Jacks by Smith.
- A new interview with Jason Mewes.
- New interview with D.P. David Klein
- Hollywood of the North: A new animated making of documentary spotlighting Minnesota crew members who toiled on the film.
- Deleted Scenes with commentary from Silent Bob himself and D.P. Dave Pereira.
- Outtakes and behind the scenes footage.
- Archival cast interviews from prior DVD editions.
- Archival retrospective Erection of an Epic: The Making of Mallrats.
- Archival 10th anniversary Q&A with Smith.
- Music video for the film, Build Me Up Buttercup.
- The requisite stills galleries (love these actually)
- Theatrical Trailer.
- Original stereo audio.
- New intro by Smith to the TV cut of Mallrats.
- Stills gallery featuring the comic books in the opening of the film.
- Easter eggs (natch)
Arrow has been behind some bloody brilliant Blu releases, notably the recent American Werewolf in London, so expect a top notch release.
So let’s all roll another blunt and help William finally find that elusive sail boat (just don’t call it a “schooner”).