If upgrading the exterior of your home is on your mind, window shutters is the best choice. It can transform your dull-looking home spectacularly. With so many varieties to choose from, getting the best one can be a bit intimidating. This article will give you some vital tips on how you should go about the task of choosing the best window shutters for your home at Woodland Hills.
Why are shutters indispensable?
Installing shutters not only increases the overall appeal of your home, but they also have other utilities too. Shutters offer your home an extra layer of protection. There is no other better alternative to protect the interiors from the outside debris and storms. It also enhances your privacy, without blocking light. Since shutters are available in various forms, you can control the airflow simply by lifting and lowering the shutters. Thus, shutters have decorative, functional, and aesthetical benefits. By all means, installing Window shutters Woodland hills seems feasible.
Selecting the ideal shutter for your home
Firstly, consider your preferences. Will a decorative shutter be worthy of your home or are you in need of a functional variant. Your preferences will decide on the style, hardware, and materials of the shutters. You should also sort a budget for investing in these shutters.
Get the right shutters
Selecting the style of the shutter is the next important criterion. Ultimately, the style of the shutter will match up to the exterior décor of the home. Let us take a look at the available options.
- Louvered shutters: You will commonly find these shutters in most homes. They have specific angles for letting in sunlight and airflow. If your home features the Victorian, Colonial Georgian, Cape Cod, and Ranch styles, louvered shutters will make a good choice.
- Raised shutters: This shutter variant mimics the kitchen cabinets. Usually, the raised shutters sport a minimalistic look. It is also a good option for most of the homes that we mentioned earlier.
- Board and Batten: If you are looking for budget-friendly yet robust shutters, board and batten shutters will serve your purpose well. Particularly in areas that are vulnerable to stormy weather, these shutters are a perfect fit. Board and Batten shutters are common in the tropical regions.
- Bahama Shutters: Again, a commonly seen shutter in the tropical areas. As you can expect, the Bahama shutters offer protection from storms and other natural calamities. Apart from Cape Cod, and Ranch-style homes, it blends well with cottage-style homes too.
Emphasize on the right size
A misfit shutter would degrade the overall look of your home. Of course, no one would do ths intentionally. However, many people commit the mistake of not installing the proper size of the shutter. Measuring the windows thus becomes crucial, which requires professional help. Unless and until the shutters cover the window and offer flexibility, it will not add value to your home.
Getting the right material
The material quality of the shutters will determine its price. Now, that does not mean, you should be going after the cheapest one available. It is unwise compromising with the shutters, considering they offer a wide range of functionalities for your home. Here are the commonly used shutter materials for you.
- Wood: Wooden shutters continue to remain the top favorite for homeowners. There are several types of woods used for making shutters. Ideally, you should pick the one that is weather-resistant and robust. Also, check out whether the wooden shutters you choose require any treatment before installation.
- PVC: Polyvinyl Chloride or vinyl shutters are fast becoming the unanimous choice for homeowners. Not only are these shutters cost-efficient, but they are also easy to install. The cost of maintenance is also negligible in comparison to the wooden shutters.
- Faux Wood: It is another budget-friendly alternative, without sacrificing the aesthetic appeal of the exteriors. Appearance-wise, the faux wood shutters are drastically similar to the wooden variant, but they cost way cheaper.
- Others: Engineered woods, Aluminum, and fiberglass shutters are also up in the blocks. You are welcome to choose one among them if it helps enhance the overall look of the home.
Convenience of installation
A majority of individuals prefer the DIY method for installing shutters. For obvious reasons, you should select a shutter that does not let you break a sweat during the installation procedure. Presently, there are many such variants, and it should not take you long to put them in the right place.
The colors of the shutters
Choosing the best color for the shutters is again a challenging task. It goes without saying the shutter color should match the home décor properly. Choosing contrasting colors can blend well. If you find it hard deciding, you can always consider professional help.
Collaborate with a professional
You may notice, most of your neighbors preferring for DIY shutter installations. Still, we advise, going for professional help. When a skilled and experienced contractor lends their hand, the outcome should be incredible. Expect to get the best value for money, when you hire professionals to do the job for you.