Did you know that we spend one-third of our lives sleeping, or about 229,961 hours? If we spend so much time in bed, wouldn’t we want our experience to be luxurious, comfortable, and sensuous?
Oscar de la Renta said, “Silk does for the body what diamonds do for the hand.” There are many reasons why you should use a silk pillowcase when you sleep. Here is a list of the best silk pillowcases to buy, and their benefits.
You are probably thinking, “I have my Egyptian cotton pillowcase, and it seems okay, why spend more on silk?” Well, there’s a reason that silk pillowcases are trending among celebrities, hairstylists, and the general population. Here are the benefits of making the switch.
- Hair Health: Celebrity hairstylist Justine Marjan reports that “Friction from cotton can disrupt the cuticle layer, leading to frizz, breakage, sleep crease, and dry strands. Silk doesn’t absorb or pull moisture from your skin the way traditional cotton pillowcases do, leaving hair hydrated and frizz-free.”
- Better Skin: Dermatologists report that cotton and polyester materials tug at the skin, creating wrinkles over time. Additionally, they draw moisture from the skin, leaving it dehydrated in the morning. Silk is also ideal for sensitive skin, as it is naturally hypoallergenic.
- Superior Sleep: A silk pillow provides the perfect setting for a good night’s sleep, and being well-rested ensures that you will have a natural glow in the morning. Sleeping on silk is like having a massage every night.
The Seven Best Silk Pillowcases You Can Buy
Not all silks are created equal. When you are shopping for a pillowcase, consider the weight of the silk, care instructions, durability, and comfort. Because silk pillowcases have a high price point, shop a retailer with a generous return policy.
- The 25mm Mulberry Silk Pillowcase is strong, moisture-wicking, comfortable, and more affordable than many other silk options.
- The One-Sided Pillowcase is more affordable because it features cotton on one side. At $20, it is budget-friendly and still luxurious at 19 momme, which is the weight of the silk.
- The Mulberry Silk Pillowcase is unique in that it offers a year-long return policy, along with mulberry silk fiber, good fabric weight, and machine-washable care instructions.
- The Slipsilk Pillowcase has been given the highest smoothness rating by users. The only downside is that it is more prone to wrinkles.
- The Silk Pillowcase by Cuddledown has the highest durability rating for being abrasion-resistant, shrink-resistant, and wrinkle-resistant.
- The Manito Pillowcase is pricey, but the fabric is dryer-safe and is still rated as one of the most comfortable fabrics among testers. It also comes as a pair.
- The Silk Pillowcase by the Ethical Silk Company has more of a matte finish than traditional silk pillowcases, and is left undyed to be more environmentally friendly.
Want smoother hair? A fresher complexion? A sensuous sleep experience?
Now’s the time to invest in a silk pillowcase. For more sleep and beauty tips, check out more of our blog today!