To become successful as an artist, you need to understand the business of selling art. Earlier, commissions from advertising companies and corporate houses were the sources of income for lesser-known artists. But, in the last few years, the scenario has changed dramatically. With the advent of social media, you will not find a starving artist anymore. Today, you can make use of a website builder to create a site to sell your works of art.
How to Sell Art On The Internet:
Social media selling and eCommerce are the best ways for independent artists to sell their craft. Use websites to connect to your audiences directly and make a profit on every work you sell. Many new artists are making a mark by sharing their work on social media, through their own sites, and by engaging in artist communities online.
- Although some people are giving up their regular, full-time jobs to sell their art online, success does not come overnight. Initially, you may need to supplement your income. For those who had been working at regular jobs earlier, business skills learned on the job can prove to be handy when launching your website selling art. Instagram can also be a great way to promote art online. You need to understand that the risks are going to be high when you decide to take the plunge from a cushy job.
- In case you are not an artist yourself, there is an option to sell art by opting to be a curator. It lets you sell art others create. For instance, there are many artists out there who are not keen to get involved in the business of selling their art, and they prefer to rely on galleries and agents. You can sell prints, originals, or license works that have to be printed, etc.
- You must decide what you want to sell, whether the original or a copy. Sculpture, for instance, is hard to replicate or use in merchandise.
- To sell art online, you are going to need a store. Doing this takes some time, and then, you must wait around for a while to see whether the plan was viable. When you set up a store, you must select a theme that will offer enough space for your artwork to be showcased properly.
- You need apps that will manage the store efficiently so that you can work on the creative aspects. One of the best ways to do this is by using Shopify apps. There are apps like Photo Gallery that feature out-of-stock and past works. It is useful as other merchants can view your art, and opt to do business with you.
- Variants by Shopify can offer buyers size, framing, and finishing options. Your products must be photographed and scanned properly. Else, buyers cannot get a good idea of the products. Without a proper image, the art will not sell. It may be a good idea to recruit a professional to do the shooting.
If you can get a quality website builder for your art, you know you can get the viewer’s complete attention. Selling in online marketplaces will not give you the returns you hope for. But, a website builder is more effective and affordable.
A website builder will tell you which products to sell online. It streamlines the entire process and gives you access to all the tools you need. For example, platforms like Shopify or BigCommerce can cater to ambitious entrepreneurs looking to scale up their business quickly.
While there are many such website builders in the market, Shopify scores ahead of the others because of its ease of use, design flexibility, 24×7 customer supports, website features, sales features, and value for money. Shopify caters to serious sellers and those looking for a hassle-free selling process. It allows you to accept payments, manage the gallery on-the-go, and offer the most user-friendly tools.
Shopify helps you to manage gallery on-the-go
Wix offers excellent eCommerce functionalities and is easy to use. You can count on round-the-clock assistance. It is flexible and offers many templates that you can choose from. Wix also integrates with social media, allowing buyers to view your art on channels like Pinterest and Facebook.
This platform caters to serious sellers, helping big enterprises expand faster. It offers attractive features like multi-channel selling, easy-to-manage shipping process, and appealing templates. The pricing plans are similar to those offered by Shopify, and it provides many built-in features that can convert your art gallery into a superstore for selling art.
This website builder offers the best-designed templates and high-end features. But, there is no app store or multiple payment choices. This platform is best for artists wanting to sell limited products.
It is an easy-to-use app that offers great value for money. But it cannot update stock or offer multichannel selling. Its Starter Plan will let you sell up to 10 products. However, the SEO tools it provides helps the site catch the attention of viewers.
Weebly offers SEO tools to catch viewer attention