– I’m doing great, feeling grateful and lucky to be producing music I love.
Can you talk to us more about your latest single “Think About You”?
– It’s an emotional song played to an upbeat track. The dichotomy between the happiness I’ve felt in my own life and how it’s also left me crippled at times. My music is always an experiment of my own emotions and how I process them. I hope that by displaying my emotions through my art I can hopefully reach people who have felt pain and know that they aren’t alone in this world.
Did any event, in particular, inspire you to write this song?
– I fell for a girl, she was a hurricane of emotions, bringing so much joy into my life but also hurting me the most. She put my own emotions and feelings to the test, I’ve never felt as much fear and uncertainty as I did in the moments I was with her. I was so afraid to lose her. Things are much better now and I feel grateful for going through a rough patch as it lead me to creating my new single.
Any plans to release a video for the single?
– I released a lyric video on Youtube for the single.
How was the recording and writing process?
– I honestly just sit down and listen to my emotions and try my best at writing down how I feel. The words just flow once I’m in a flow state and digging deeper into myself and the feelings that I have. Once I have a melody that I like I have this urge to create a song with words that will fit it well. The recording starts with many fails (as expected) until I find the perfect sound that just speaks to me. Next thing I know is I have a rough edit of a song that I feel passionate about and get to work with editing the content together.
What role does Toronto play in your music?
– Toronto is my home city, it’s where I’ve grown up and have had all my major life experiences. Every year I learn more about myself and the city, it has a special connection in my heart which you’ll see being reflected in my music.
How does classical music still influence your music as a whole?
– Classical music is a large genre, what comes to mind are bands like The Beatles. These songs influence me to write lyrics more creatively and explore a wide variety of genres within music. It inspires me to venture into different sounds and create music that is different but authentic to me.
Does the new single mean we can expect a new material – how’s that coming along?
– I’m always creating new music, songs that I may never release and songs I can’t wait to show everyone. I am not slowing down anytime soon, I have a bunch of songs in the making so stay tuned for more music.
Any tentative release date or title in mind?
– Be on the lookout for new music in late March.
Any plans to hit the road?
– If the opportunity arises I’m all in to start traveling with my music and grow my audience.
What else is happening next in Joshua Perez’s world?
– I’m excited to be constantly creating new music, I have some great stuff that I’ll be releasing in the next couple months. I’m also looking forward to collaborating with interesting people on some of the songs I’m writing. Other than music I like spending my time playing baseball, traveling and doing math.