1) Hi Titus, welcome to VENTS! How have you been?
I’ve been doing well. It’s a busy time of year, but it’s extremely fun.
2) Can you talk to us more about your latest single “Rose”?
Yes, “Rose” is one of my more romantic songs that I actually wrote from the angle of a break up. I wanted to voice my break up emotions from a perspective that wasn’t so sad, but more of a groove.
3) Did any event in particular inspire you to write this song?
The song was inspired by a fairly recent relationship of mine that ended a bit abruptly. She’s a fantastic woman, but it just wasn’t a relationship we were ready to be in at the time.
4) How was the filming process and experience behind the video?
The filming process was amazing. It was really fun planning everything out to capture it all in one shot. It really made the video feel like the audience was experiencing life with me for a day, as opposed to chopped up edited pieces of my life.
5) How was the recording and writing process?
The writing and recording processes were pretty smooth. “Rose” was the first song we wrote (co-written by Aaron Kellim), when I decided to release music under “Butterfly Ali.” The ring started off with just guitar, but I took it to producers because I wanted to give more it some more color and vibes.
6) How have Leon Bridges and Pharrell Williams influenced your writing?
I’ve been very inspired by Marvin Gaye, Andre 3000, Anderson Paak, & Pharrell, more so with their vibes and personalities. I like to try and create my own lane lyrically and writing wise. I love artists that represent a throwback vibe, with Marvin Gaye being an actual artist of that time being my biggest inspiration.
7) Known for playing with different genres – how do you go on balancing all your different influences together into a cohesive sound?
I believe the through line of all the vibes I like to incorporate is the soul sound. No matter what production is happening behind me, the one thing I can always bring to a record is my soul, and lyrics that are truthful to my life. I like to always say something encouraging or relatable in my music.
8) As an actor – how does this background influence your work as an artist and the other way around?
Being an actor really plays well into being a musician, in my opinion. We’re in a world where we’re constantly being creative, and with music I get to speak more personally but still tie in all the things I’ve learned acting-wise when it comes to performing and music videos.
9) Does the new single mean we can expect new material – how’s that coming along?
Yes! I’m really looking forward to an up-tempo single called “Righteous” which I’ll be releasing Feb.5th, with a music video following two weeks after that. I love to dance as well, so up-tempo music really inspires me as well.
10) Any plans to hit the road?
No current plans to hit the road as I am still filming season 2 of “The Rookie,” but will most likely play a show in Los Angeles in the near future.
11) What else is happening next in Butterfly Ali’s world?
Just more music, and gaining more fans that I can add to my big family of soul/funk love.
Butterfly Ali - Rose