With the right equipment and know-how, you can easily clean your carpets with steam. Read on to find out how and why you should clean yours with steam.
Daily carpet care, such as vacuuming and wearing shoes indoors, keeps your floors looking good. But your carpets require more than this routine care. Periodically, carpets need a deeper and more thorough cleaning that can only be done by steam cleaning.
How does steam cleaning work?
The term “steam” cleaning can be a little misleading because steam is not the main way of cleaning the carpet.
- The term refers in fact to the hot water solution sprayed on the carpet by the nozzle of the steam cleaning machine. The high pressure of the spray is perfect for dislodging encrusted dirt, and the system easily draws the solution almost as it touches the carpet.
- This means that no residue remains on the carpet, which is the main problem of shampooing or foam cleaning processes.
Rent versus professional services
- Professional carpet cleaning services can be a bit expensive. For homes with less than 5,000 square feet of carpet, you can expect to pay at least $ 0.15 per square foot.
- On the other hand, renting a steam cleaning unit and doing it yourself should cost less than $ 150 in total. So, if price is your main concern, there is no need to think.
Rent a unit, however, has its disadvantages.
- These smaller units can not achieve the high pressures and temperatures of professional cleaning systems, so they can not be powerful enough to thoroughly clean your carpets compared to a foam cleaner.
- Rental units can also leave some of the cleaning chemicals in the air of your home, while a professional service will be powerful enough to suck the entire solution out of your home.
How and when to steam clean
Even with a best multi purpose steam cleaner, steam cleaning will leave your carpets wet.
- You must plan your annual cleaning during a hot, dry season to speed up the drying process.
- Before starting the steam unit, remove as much of the furniture from the space as possible to have the free way and start from the end of each room so as not to walk on the damp carpet.
- Pass each part of the carpet several times, including a water pass only to rinse any remaining solution.
Steam cleaning can increase the longevity of your carpet by several years. You only need to do it once every 8 to 12 months, with lighter cleanings throughout the year. With a little practice, it can become a simple weekend project.