Hi Lani, welcome to VENTS! How have you been?
1. I’m doing good, just working.
Can you talk to us more about your latest single “New York Vibe”?
2. Sure. I go into it in the below.
Did any event in particular inspired you to write this song?
3. Not really any specific event, but I drew inspiration from riding through NY for the first time. It was crazy seeing all of the different attractions and knowing I was going to have to reach an audience that knew nothing about me. With the song, I was mainly trying to paint a picture about myself coming from down south.
How was the filming process and experience behind the video?
4. The filming process was definitely a crazy experience for me simply because I’ve never really shot videos with that big of a production behind it so it was new to me, but definitely a fun one.
How was the recording and writing process?
5. The writing processes was kind of natural, but the fact I’ve never been to NYC and knowing it’s nothing like where I’m from just gave me a different feeling. The recording process was definitely a memorable moment because of the reactions I got even from the team when they heard it was kind of surprising.
What was it like to work with Lexi Banks and how did that relationship develop?
6. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to actually work in the same studio as him but I just to hear that beat for the first time definitely made it feel like we had already worked for years together.
How much did he get to influence the song?
7. He definitely influenced the song in a major way because of the beat he produced, he kind of forced me to go about the song in a different way and get into a different range of what I’m able to do, so it was different for me too because I wasn’t use to beats like that one.
What role does NYC play in your music?
8. Well being that NY is more of “turn-up” place and an uptempo city, it makes me tap more into the “trap” side of my music because of whats really happening. I know some people can relate to it as well up here, but my heart plays the biggest role in my music so it’s hard for anything to top that on any record.
What made you want to pay tribute to this city rather than the South?
9. I wouldn’t say the location really mattered to me. My team reached out and they offered to bring me up north. It was a risk and after the first couple visits, I knew it was business but most importantly I knew they were really trying to look out for me and expand my career to the next level. They are there for me not only as an artist but as a person too. I know I can turn to them for advice with things outside of music if I need to and that’s major.
Does the new single mean we can expect a new material – how’s that coming along?
10. Definitely got new material on the way! Stay tuned.
Any plans to hit the road?
11. Yea for sure, I plan to hit the road after releasing the album, even if its just to network and promote, but it is time to get the show on the road.
What else is happening next in Lani Gee’s world?
12. I’m currently on a promo run, doing radio interviews and shows. I’m preparing for a big show this Halloween opening up for Da Baby, Lil Durk, and Rick Ross at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes Barre Township, PA. I’m also a part of an up coming EP by DJ Clue and Desert Storm. I will be recording new music with the producer Quay Global of Quality Control Music this month. Just staying busy.