INTERVIEW: Caustic Minds
Hi guys, welcome to VENTS! How have you been?
– Hey VENTS, thank you for the interview! We’ve had quite a few months behind us but we’re good and excited to be here!
Can you talk to us more about your latest single “Destroyer”?
– Destroyer is about a fearless woman, a go-getter, unapologetic and a badass. She is good at what she does and she knows it. No feelings attached to anything. An inspiring figure or a villain. We think that we all got a little of the Destroyer inside of us if we just put our minds to it.
Did any event, in particular, inspire you to write this song?
– Destroyer was one of the early songs we wrote and had quite a change. In the first drafts, the song was meant to be a rap song, with rap in the verses and a catchy chorus. After Laura (vocalist) joined she rewrote the lyrics of Destroyer, given the emotional pressure we were under she got inspired and developed a story along with the lyrics.
Any plans to release a video for the track?
– Not so far, but we’re planning some surprises for the future.
The single comes off your new album Black Oil For A Soul – what’s the story behind the title?
– Black Oil For a Soul is a sentence taken from our single Destroyer, it represents in a way the experiences we have encountered during the recordings that brought up these dark emotions that led us writing the songs.
How was the recording and writing process?
– It was quite an interesting turnout of events, to be honest. We booked two days to record the instruments and one day for vocals. The instrument recordings were intense because we were working on a low budget. Two weeks before the instrument recordings started, we split up with our previous singer which left us without a vocalist before the recordings, luckily we had the vocal recording day booked one month after the instrument recordings due to arrangements with our previous singer. During this month Laura joined the band and decided to rewrite all the lyrics for the EP because she didn’t feel comfortable singing someone else lyrics. After two weeks of intense writing, we managed to rewrite all the lyrics, worked it out with our producer and were ready to record.
What role does Berlin play in your music?
– Berlin breathes music, with its tragic history this city has now evolved into an international metropole where freedom of speech is important and music is one of its voices. It is an interesting fact that we all come from different parts of the world and share the same interests, we all are thriving for the same path, this makes the experience exciting and spontaneous, just like the way we portray our music.
How has Black Sabbath and The Kills influenced your writing?
– The structure and sonic personality these artists portray. We like to adopt this attitude to the music and image because we identify with it.
What aspect of relationships did you get to explore on this record?
– We were already good friends before the recordings but after dealing with this whole experience we got more close and created a healthy and fun work environment.
Where else did you find the inspiration for the songs and lyrics?
– Each song is a different story, has a different emotion and an interesting background.
– Eyes On Fire was a concept of our bass player came up with while trying to write a new riff. He had a creepy story behind it, we took the concept in and started to work on it immediately.
– Baby Doll has a strong emotion to it because it exposes the reality and a point of view that is never taken into consideration or made less.
– Blacklist is about vengeance, we see it as a witch that casts out evil towards its enemies.
Carry On is about moving on, it’s about learning from the past and accepting the way things are.
Any plans to hit the road?
– We have a few gigs planned in Berlin for now but we have our eyes on 2020.
What else is happening next in CAUSTIC MINDS’ world?
– We have plans to release new material towards the end of the year but before we head again in the studio we’re going to our guitar players home in Spain for two weeks to write and plan out our year in further detail.
Hi Dani, welcome to VENTS! How have you been? Hey! Thank you very much for …