Can you talk to us more about your latest single “Prey”?
– Prey is my first release as a solo artist under Mel Senese. I felt this song needed to be my first release as it truly depicts the type of artist I am. It is an inspirational song that is portrayed in a darker manner. The goal was to capture the eeriness behind the lyrics and vibe while also letting my rock vocals shine through.
Did any event in particular inspire you to write this song?
–I wrote Prey two years ago around the time I left an original project. The song came to me after a position of not being able to make my own artistic decisions and not being able to fully express myself and how I was feeling. I was in a completely lost stage of my life and following the norm, going to college, getting my degree, putting my music to the side and not having it be a priority… just not what I had ever envisioned for myself. The lyrics of this song stems from just going out and getting what I want, being in control, taking whatever is out there that would benefit me, and overall creating my own opportunities as opposed to waiting for them to come to me. I want to spread the message of my song to allow others to take initiative, take ownership, and go after that PREY.. whatever that may be.
Any plans to release a video for the single?
– I have recently released the video for this single! Here is the youtube link..
– The recording and writing process was a collaboration that started with a production on my end. I put my ideas into my music software and then it was my mission to find a producer who could bring my vision to life. This led me to Oh, Hush! who really took the song to where it needed to be. He has a home studio in Chicago that I was able to record my vocals at and further collaborate on the outcome of the song.
What role does Chicago play in your music?
– Chicago is where I was born and raised and where I implanted my rock roots. These past couple of years have been very exploratory when it comes to music scenes. I had been closed off in a rock category for a bit and recently started collaborating across many genres which led me to the most talented artists in the city. There is so much music here and I am so inspired by the community of artists that I am a part of. We all push each other to reach our goals and working together will only make Chicago an even stronger music hub.
Do you tend to take a different approach when collaborating with or covering someone else rather than working on your own?
– My approach has always been to come up with my own ideas, and record them any way I can. I don’t consider myself much of a producer, but I always will get my ideas down and notate what I can to help steer the song in the right direction. From that point, I will send the file off to whoever I am collaborating with to rework the idea into a fresh production and mix.
Does the new single mean we can expect new material – how’s that coming along?
YES! Absolutely! I have been working with a couple of producers to get a handful of other songs out very soon. I am expecting to release the next single within the next two months.
Any tentative release date or title in mind?
– This has not been finalized yet.
Any plans to hit the road?
– I would love to set up a tour in the near future. This is definitely in the works : )
What else is happening next in Mel Senese’s world?
– New music is on the way as well as shows to be booked! Growth is what 2019 is all about and I cannot wait for what is ahead. I just appreciate everyone that has helped me get to this position and can only just keep working hard to reach my goals.
Next highlight: I will be performing live on ABC 7 Windy City Live April 24th at 1pm with my live band. : )