Photography: Andrew J Attah
Hi Harlee, welcome to VENTS! How have you been?
-I’ve been very well thank you!
Can you talk to us more about your latest single “Now, I Know”?
– “Now I Know” was the last song to complete off of my debut EP. It was challenging writing this song, let me tell you! It was the first time I’d ever experienced heartbreak. Feeling fragile and not knowing how to explain what was going on inside my head was difficult but the more I sounded out the lyrics and feelings, the more it began to make sense and from that point on, the song took shape on its own.
Did any event in particular inspire you to write this song?
-Heartbreak inspired me to write this song. It was the first time I’d ever experienced being hurt in a relationship so I didn’t know how to deal with it and why it happened to me but writing a song about it was like therapy for me and very healing.
Any plans to release a video for the single?
-Well see! I’ve been focused on releasing my new video GIANT so I have not been able to think large scale on what a video would look like for Now I Know.
The single comes off your new album It’s Personal – what’s the story behind the title?
– The story behind “It’s Personal” is that each song on the EP encapsulates an experience and emotion that I went through and sheds light on particular moments that I’ve been through. I feel like these songs are my little babies as they all mean so much to me and I’ve been nurturing them until they’ve had their chance to blossom. I think they all show an insight into my life growing up. I started with GIANT which is such a positive and feel-good song but conversely I wrote Venom which is about a poisonous person and negative moment in my life. The EP as a whole shows different emotions and stages in my life as I’ve grown up over the last four years.
How was the recording and writing process?
– The writing and recording process was emotional but also like therapy. My co-writers and I sat down and spoke about what it is that I want to convey to the listener and capture what and how I was feeling in that moment in time. At the time, I spoke about what I was currently dealing with which was heartbreak. I started to write down words that best describe the emotional heartbreak that I was experiencing and that slowly evolved into my story. A story that no one else knew at the time, except for the people who were a part of the song. As I was recording I actually became very sick due to contracting food poisoning. As soon as I recorded the song, I actually threw up! Rather than re-record the song, the producers and co-writers believed that they had captured someone so raw and effortless that they were confident that they got the vocal take needed to complete the song. In the end, my food poisoning vocals made the cut haha!
What things did you get to learn throughout this record?
– I learned a lot from “Now I Know”. I learned that it’s okay not to be okay and that you can talk to the people around you if you’re struggling or going through something new that you’ve never experienced before. We all go through it but trust me when I say that we become better people through the process. The most important part is to walk away from the experience stronger than ever and thick skinned.
What other emotions did you get to explore on this album?
– Through the recording process, I’ve explored all the emotions you could think of including happiness, sadness, confusion and anger which are all emotions that we go through everyday. I managed to capture those emotions in my songs because I felt strongly that we people will be able to relate and connect. I wanted to be a voice for people who feel like no one listens.
Any plans to hit the road?
– I would like to hit the road and tour sometime soon so I can make new fans, meet new people and perform my music which I’ve always wanted to do.
What else is happening next in Harlee’s world?
– The next step is to just keep promoting the EP that I just dropped and take on the radio world. I will continue to keep releasing new music (maybe an album) and definitely start touring in the new year.
Hi Shayna, welcome to VENTS! How have you been? I’ve been great- writing and working …