Fans can stream AgainstMe!‘s cover of “People Who Died” (originally made famous by The Jim Carroll Band) now on People Magazine. The song is taken from Songs That SavedMyLife, a brand centered around music that has played a pivotal role in the lives of artists and fans and that benefits mental health and suicide prevention charities. The compilation will be released on November 9 through Hopeless Records and includes covers from bands like Neck Deep, AgainstMe!, Taking Back Sunday, Dan Campbell and Ace Enders, Movements, The Maine, Dance Gavin Dance, and more. Full track listing can be found below.
“Choosing to cover a song that is filled with death to be featured on a compilation dedicated to the thought that music can save your life seemed completely fitting to me,” says AgainstMe! vocalist and guitarist Laura Jane Grace. “I’ve always thought music was about taking all the sadness, pain, fear and trouble that you have weighing on you and turning it into something empowering, celebratory and life-affirming.”
Songs That SavedMyLife looks to engage current artists with cover versions of those songs and share those stories with the world. This project benefits a variety of mental health and suicide prevention organizations. Currently, this project benefits Crisis Text Line, Hope For The Day, The Trevor Project, and To Write Love On Her Arms.
Last month, the Songs That SavedMyLife grant was announced. The $10,000 grant will be awarded to a fan or band partnering with a non-profit organization related to mental health awareness and/or suicide prevention. Applications are open now and due on October 12th. To apply, visit songsthatsavedmylife.com/grant.
Songs That SavedMyLife Track Listing:
1. Neck Deep – Torn (originally made famous by Natalie Imbruglia)
2. Movements – Losing My Religion (originally made famous by R.E.M.)
3. Stand Atlantic – Your Graduation (originally made famous by Modern Baseball)
4. Dance Gavin Dance – Semi Charmed Life (originally made famous by Third Eye Blind)
5. AgainstMe! – People Who Died (originally made famous by The Jim Carroll Band)
6. Taking Back Sunday – Bullet With Butterfly Wings (originally made famous by Smashing Pumpkins)
7. Dream State – Crawling (originally made famous by Linkin Park)
8. As It Is – Such Great Heights (originally made famous by The Postal Service)
9. Oceans Ate Alaska – Shape of my Heart (originally made famous by Sting)
10. Too Close To Touch – Let It Be (originally made famous by The Beatles)
11. Dan Campbell & Ace Enders – Broom People (originally made famous by The Mountain Goats)
12. The Maine – Transatlanticism (originally made famous by Death Cab For Cutie)
Songs That SavedMyLife is now available for pre-order at www.songsthatsavedmylife.com. When fans pre-order digitally through iTunes, they will receive and instant grat download of Neck Deep’s cover of “Torn”. It is also now available to stream through Apple Music and Spotify. Fans can watch the music video for Neck Deep’s cover of “Torn” here: http://smarturl.it/TornVideo