Can you talk to us more about your latest single “I Need Love”?
– Yes, it is a song that I’m super excited to share with the world. It’s kind of interesting because the beat is super dancey and fun but the lyrics are about dealing with depression after a break up. I guess I love the contrast between the energy of the beat and the reality of the lyrics. Did any event in particular inspired you to write this song?
– Yea, actually I moved here with my (ex)boyfriend and knew that our relationship was about to come to an end – this was definitely the inspiration for the song. I also drew inspiration from different times I had battled with depression throughout my life.
Any plans to release a video for the single?
– That is definitely in the works.
How was the recording and writing process?
– Jordan Esau (the producer) and I have been writing music together for the past 4 years so we work really well and easily together. Basically, he started creating the beat while he was on an airplane to Vancouver and sent me the first draft which he titled I Need Love. So I took what I was going through at the time and the title of the beat to start building the lyrics. I sent the lyrics back to him the next day and the rest is history. We recorded the vocals for the track (for the most part) in his bedroom! Jordan has a nice little home studio in his apartment and working there is always fun!
What role does Montreal play in your writing?
– Montreal makes writing easier because there is a lot of inspiration here. Whether that’s being inspired by other artists, the beautiful scenery or just being surrounded by all the amazing fashion and street art! There is so much vibrant energy here, you can’t help but create.
How Erykah Badu and James Blake has influence your music? – Erykah Badu was the first woman I saw on tv that looked similar to me that created art that I truly resonated with – Like, deep in my core. From her make-up, to her beat making, to her lyrical content to her vocal ability – she is definitely my number 1 idol. People often say that they hear her in my voice and it’s always the biggest compliment to me! haha
– James Blake’s production and creativity is something I admire so much! I find it so inspiring that he does his own production, writing, effects and more. I aim to create similar soundscapes with my own production style.
Does the new single mean we can expect a new material – how’s that coming along?
– Yes! I will be releasing a new EP in the Fall.
Any tentative release date or title in mind?
– I’m keeping the release date a secret… for now. haha.
Will you keep diving into the themes of love on this material?
– Yes! actually, love is the main theme of this upcoming EP. It might even be the title of the EP itself, who knows… hehe.
Any plans to hit the road?
– As of right now I’m just focusing on the release of the EP and hopefully there might be some tour dates around spring/early summer 2019. We shall see!
What else is happening next in Janette King’s world?
-Just excited for the release of I Need Love on all platforms Sept 14th. I will be performing “I Need Love” Live at Pop Montreal Music Festival Sept 27th 2018 at Piccolo Rialto along side King Khan & The Shrines and Gabriella Cohen. Also, I have a collab coming out called “Dots” with producer Boha Sept 21st aswell! Stay tuned on my socials to find out more about the EP and other collabs.