– Hey, thanks for having us, we’re great thanks! We’ve been super busy getting our live show ready and are now enjoying having our single Enemies out!
Can you talk to us more about your latest single “Enemies”?
– Enemies is our new single, but it is a song we’ve been working on for a long time. We did it in a few very different ways before we finally felt we got it right.
Did any event in particular inspired you to write this song?
– Ben: I wrote the first version of the song about a close friend of mine. We were best mates and played in bands together when we were young, but our different approaches to music put a strain on our friendship. We ended up drifting apart. Enemies was about letting go of those old feelings of rivalry and reminding myself that we are friends above everything else. Thankfully, we are close friends again.
How was the filming process and experience behind the video?
– Making the video was a great experience. Seeing so many talented people devote their time and effort to making it happen was awesome. The director, Courtney Brookes, was incredible, wrote the concept, choreographed dances and was a general genius. The band aren’t in the video so that made it very easy for us too!
How was the recording and writing process?
– The writing of the song involved Ben bringing the bare bones, Sam adding and improving it, then Tim improving it again. We record everything ourselves, mostly in our studio above a bakery in Leichhardt. The process of writing and recording was a really great experience, lots of experimenting with sounds without worrying about being on the clock. We also recorded a bunch of kids singing which was a massive process, but adds so much to the track. It was so awesome hearing it sung by them.
What role does Sydney play in your music?
– Ben: Growing up in Sydney, seeing bands like Cut Copy and The Presets a while back, I was always a fan of bands that could combine electronic music and live rock elements. Rufus and Jagwar Ma also did this really well and I’m a huge fan of those bands. So looking up to these guys shaped the music I’m sure.
Does the new single mean we can expect a new material – how’s that coming along? Any tentative release date or title in mind?
– Yeah we’ve got heaps of material, so you can definitely expect more music but we haven’t settled on a next release just yet. Hoping to get in the studio with some awesomely talented people to help finish it off.
Any plans to hit the road?
– We have the single launch coming up on May 19th at 107 projects Redfern, and after that I think we are looking at doing some support shows. Hopefully our own tour sometime this year if it’s on the cards!
What else is happening next in Mazy’s world?
– We are constantly working on new music, so making a really good album is the goal recording and writing wise. On the live front would love to stomp around on a few festival stages over summer!