INTERVIEW: Between The Lines
Hi guys, welcome to VENTS! How have you been?
– Hey, thanks for having us – We’ve been good, busy for the most part but good!
Can you talk to us more about your latest single “Anywhere But Here”?
– So ‘Anywhere But Here’ is one of the first tracks that we wrote in our new style.. around September/October 2017 we decided to change up our set and focus on some new tracks that were more “us” – ‘Anywhere But Here’ was the first product of that change and it’s still one of our favourite songs of ours
Did any event in particular inspired you to write this song?
– Mostly listening to WSTR’s album ‘Red, Green or Inbetween’ for the first time properly to be fair, the high paced new pop punk album gave us a real kick of inspiration that led to ‘Anywhere But Here’ being made..
Any plans to release a video for the single?
– That is the plan yeah! We would love to do a music video for it down the line and we’ve spoken to a few people about putting one together, so who knows – in a couple of months we might be releasing a video for it…
The single comes off your new EP To The Wind – what’s the story behind the title?
– ‘To The Wind’ is the title of our lead track from the mini EP by the same name.. the main hook line from that song is “Sing Your Name To The Wind” at first glance it’s pretty easy to mistake the song to be about the loss of a previous relationship but it’s actually a lot deeper than that, it touches on the subject of losing someone to Alzheimer’s which is something a couple of us have unfortunately been affected by… but those emotions create a powerful song…
How was the recording and writing process?
– Long… It started back in November when we first linked up with Dan Lambert from Valhalla studios in Bedfordshire and put down the drum and guitar tracks. It was a real learning curve for us as a band though and it ended up taking a few more sessions here and there to finely tune the guitar & bass tracks until we added the vocals out of new singer Alex in late January.. We learnt a lot from it and hopefully next time we record everything will be smoother on our end; Fortunately our producer Dan was incredible from day one so that helped massively…
How Neck Deep and Four Year Strong has influence your music?
– Neck Deep are the ultimate band in modern new wave pop punk, you don’t like pop punk and dislike Neck Deep they just go hand in hand… It’s the melodies and guitar riffs that just grip us and keep us hooked that we love… we try and add those elements into our tracks. With Four Year Strong though, that’s what gives us abit of grit and aggression in our tracks -Alex’s range is insane and he can hit beautiful high notes right before smashing out a cheeky growl, much like Four Year Strong.. those guys music is pretty key to the sound we are going for as a band!
What role does Bedford play in your music?
– We all come from around the Bedford area, and it’s a place we’ve spent a lot of time over the last 10 years on nights out and going to shows at Esquires – it was Esquires that gave us a chance to play or first ever show In May 2017 and that’s where the band really came to life and we decided to have a go at music properly, so the influence of Bedford is huge and we class it as our adopted band home town..
Where did you find the inspiration for the songs and lyrics?
– Like I mentioned earlier the music was influenced by a decision to refine our sound to something we considered more “us” and more unique – The lyrics were something that Alex really poured his heart and soul into and you can feel what he’s singing about, especially in ‘To The Wind’ given the somber meaning behind the words.
Any plans to hit the road?
– Hopefully! This is something we’ve talked about since day and had that “imagine how fun a tour would be…” conversation… but we’ve never got round to sorting it out, but with the new tracks and new sound now Alex has joined the band we are hoping to get touring as soon as possible to expand our horizons as a band!
What else is happening next in Between The Lines’ world?
– Next up we’ve got a few shows, shameless self promotion really but our first official show with our new singer is at Club 85, Hitchin on May 4th…. then it’s onto festival season, so hopefully we can sort out a few more festivals for the summer – then we will look at touring and supporting bigger bands to keep growing! Other than we will try and enjoy the inconsistent English weather…
Hi Schreiner, welcome to VENTS! How have you been? Hello and thanks for having me! …