I’ve been great really. Got a full schedule working both on and off stage with my music and my life, it’s all good.
Can you talk to us more about your song “Won’t Be Found”?
– This was the song that ultimately led me to record my first EP.
I’d been writing a bunch on my own, and one day I uploaded a simple live take of the song on YouTube. After that things took speed.
I was given opportunities I didn’t think was possible, and within a couple of weeks I was in the studio recording it with a producer. So things can happen fast.
Did any event inspire you to write this song?
– This particular song came too after a quite dark period of my life when I basically shoved everyone away and felt a bunch of guilt about it. And the only way I knew how to handle it was to write about it.
How was the filming process and experience behind the video?
– Well some really talented film students contacted me with the idea, and I didn’t hesitate one second. They were given more or less total control over the process, ’cause I really didn’t wanna impede their creativity. And it turned out just beautiful.
For the next video though I think I’m gonna be more involved in the process, but that is for another time.
How was the recording and writing process?
– I love recording in Sunnanå. Me and producer Tobias are just two good friends creating music together. At home I went many sleepless nights coming up with the ideas, so when I entered the studio the songs already had a pretty solid structure. But then it was just a playground where we twisted and turned until the songs grew to their final form.
What role does Sweden play in your writing?
– I think musicians in Sweden and many other countries tend more to look to the west and write in an Americanized way, romanticizing about a certain way of life that has been depicted in western media culture for such a long time. I know I do. But in the same way I also think that all Swedish songwriters in some way are influenced by the Swedish way of life as well. And of course the nature, I mean it’s hard to overlook.
Does the new single mean we can expect a new album – how’s that coming along?
– After my previous EP I felt like I wanted to focus more on single releases instead of a full-length album. So I got two fresh new singles, recorded once again in Sunnanå Studios.
Perhaps after these comes out I’ll start working on a whole album. A full length vinyl with my name on it has been a dream for as long as I can remember.
Any tentative release date or title in mind?
– My hopes are to release at least one single within a couple of months.
It will be called – Slide.
Any plans to hit the road?
– I do have some dates coming up over the next few months in Sweden, and a mini tour this fall. But my plan is to get some dates in the U.K and down in Europe eventually.
What else is happening next in Simon Alexander´s world?
– Right now all focus lies on getting my new music ready, adding some more gigs to the list, and just enjoy what this new year might bring.
Keep your eyes and ears open, and more updates will follow.