Hi guys, welcome to VENTS! How have you been?
– Thank you for having us. We have been good! Staying busy and productive with our team (Revival Recordings) working on a very exciting release. Our self titled EP comes out on July 21st and we couldn’t be more excited.
Can you talk to us more about your latest single “Karma”?
– Our latest single “Karma” is one of our favorite tracks off of our upcoming EP. This song has a fun-edgy feel to it, and lyrically is an anthem for anyone who has been in a bad relationship. The song speaks of taking the emotions from a breakup and putting that energy into being the best “you” you can be. In our case the “Karma” music video tells a story of a girl breaking up with our drummer Benji and he channels his energy into playing drums. Over the course of the video, the girl dates each member of the band and each member comes together through heartbreak to put all of their efforts into music and form the band. The video ends in a concert scene that the girl happens to be in the crowd at. This brings the song title “Karma” into full circle when she realizes the guys she dated/cheated on have made something better of themselves.
Did any event in particular inspire you to write this song?
-Karma was inspired by a relationship our singer Branson went through in the past. He got cheated on and wanted to write a “Carrie Underwood” type breakup song about his experience.
How was the film experience?
– The film experience for Karma was incredible. It was our first videoshoot with a full professional film crew. We had the honor of filming the video on a RED dragon camera which is what “The Hobbit” was filmed on. We als needed a lot of extras for this video so it was a great feeling to invite our fans to be a part of our video. Our fans mean the world to us and it was very special for us to have them be part of the video.
The single comes off your new self-titled album – why naming the record after the band?
– Our EP which comes out July 21st, is self titled. We chose to self title this EP becuase this is our first release through a record label and we wanted to reinvent ourselves a little and package the cd under our band name to really launch our brand and get our name in people’s heads.
How was the recording and writing process?
– The recording/writing process for the EP was so much fun. We are in our happiest place when we are writing and recording new material. We recorded the EP at the Blasting Room in Fort Collins CO (Rise Against, A Day to Remember, Alkaline Trio etc.) We work with an incredible producer/engineer Chris Beeble. We all work very cohesivley together and always have a great bonding experience when we are in the studio. We always try to push the envelope when we are recording music so there are some special musical treats on this EP including some orchestra elements, an opera singer on the track “Lykos” and some electronic production.
What role does Fort Collins play in your writing?
– We were all born and raised in Fort Collins CO, aside from our drummer who was born in California. Colorado holds a special place in our hearts. Fort Collins is full of artists of all kinds who are all very supportive and open to collaboration, so we feel very blessed to be part of this city. Fort Collins influences our writing in the sense that our producer lives here as well and we are all influenced by the artistic atmosphere that surrounds us.
What aspect of the band did you get to explore on this record?
– This EP allowed us to explore many aspects of our band, but i’d say primarily accepting that there are no “rules” when creating music. This allowed us to be carefree and really let our personalities shine through in our music.
Any plans to hit the road?
– We plan to tour a lot on this EP. We are touring with a band called Sink In from LA a week after the EP is released digitally. We are constantly networking and booking tours to make sure that our music can be heard by as many people as possible all over the country. We have future tours being booked currently so stay tuned on our social medias for upcoming show dates.
What else is happening next in Shatterproof’s world?