Hi Julia, welcome to VENTS! How have you been?
– Hi! I’ve been really good!
Can you talk to us more about your song “Gravity”?
– I had always written songs, from a really young age, but Gravity was the first song that I really remember being proud of and it inspired the rest of my EP!
Did any event in particular inspire you to write this song?
– Gravity was inspired by a relationship I had been in that just wasn’t very good for me (obviously if you listen to the words)! So, yeah, the song is spot on to the relationship and Gravity was me letting go of the situation.
Any plans to release a video for the track?
– No, I don’t think that I’ll be releasing a video for Gravity, but I have new material coming and have been working on a video for it! Gravity and all the songs on my EP were written and recorded when I was younger (about 15-17). I’ve definitely grown as an artist and switched up my style since I originally wrote it. My focus, moving forward, is more on my new material!
Why naming the record after this song in particular?
– I decided that it should be named Gravity because of the picture we had taken for the Gravity cover. I was originally planning to release it as a single but I was so in love with the cover and that picture that I wanted it to be the EP cover. The pic was taken in St. Petersburg, FL in the bay. I literally was lying in the water with the photographer standing on what looked like a 100 year old dock above me. So the only thing that is superimposed is the stars and the moon, the rest was real. It really was a blast!
How was the recording and writing process?
– The recording process was super fun! It was me and two local producers, Brooks Paschel and Tavie Basarich. I originally wrote the song and the music (and all of them on my EP) and Tavie and Brooks helped bring it together with the instruments. Because it was one of my first experiences recording, I learned a lot! As for writing- that’s me, my guitar, usually in my room in the middle of the night- and until recently- after a ‘not so nice’ life experience!
What role does Orlando plays in your music?
– Orlando is a perfect place to be an indie artist because there is so much opportunity, so I think living here has definitely opened doors for me I might not have in other places. What a lot of people don’t know is that Orlando has 100’s of places for live music and if you go to either coast, there are 100’s more.
Would this record serve as a sneak peek to your next EP or are you seeking for a new direction with this new material?
– I’m planning for my new EP to be completely different!! Like I said above, I had written Gravity and all the songs on my EP when I was really young. I started writing these songs when I was about 15-16 years old. My new material, I hope, shows growth, not only has a song writer, but as a person. I know it’s only a few years apart, but life is so different now. I have been working hard to shape my ‘brand’ and show who I want to be as an artist moving forward through what I project as well as the sound of my music!
Any plans to hit the road?
– Once this new material is ready- I’m on it! Right now, I play 2-3 times a week, so I have been traveling up and down the east coast of Florida for almost a year. I’m not quite ready for a tour yet but I think within the next couple years I should definitely be traveling!
What else is happening next in Julia McDonald’s world?
– I’ve been getting to do some traveling recently for a song that I’ve been working on with some writers and producers in LA. Writing this song with seasoned writers has taught me so much! I found a producer with the sound (and direction) that I want to go in who is working on the recording right now! As soon as he is finished, I’m back in LA to lay down the vocals and start talking about the video! We should be finishing up soon and then we’ll be releasing it! Until then, if you’re around Central Florida- look me up and catch one of my shows!
Hi guys, welcome to VENTS! How have you been? Hey VENTS! It’s a pleasure. We’re …