– Hello VENTS! Thanks for having me, I’ve been fantastic, how are you guys???
Can you talk to us more about your latest single “Symphony”?
– So Symphony has been a work in progress for a long time, it’s the first song I ever wrote for Matt and The Beanstalk. Im overwhelmed with how well it’s done, really really proud and rewarding to see it get some recognition.
Did any event in particular inspired you to write this song?
– I think for me it’s about seeing how hard my girlfriend works, she is always trying to outdo herself work wise haha, it drives me crazy, so yeah that topic really inspired me. Some people might listen and think it’s a love song but it’s really not.
Any plans to release a video for the single?
– I’ve been thinking about this recently, I definitely want to record my own budget music videos, just really daft and crazy stuff that people haven’t thought of before. I’m no Steven Spielberg but I think they’ll be quirky and fun to watch. With regards to making one for Symphony, I don’t think so, but the next single will definitely have one.
How was the recording and writing process?
– I love it, it’s my favourite thing in the world. Having an demo and then bringing it to the studio and seeing it evolve and transpire into something that isn’t what you thought it would sound like is the best. I hate being narrow minded about things and I’m obsessed with bringing none mainstream instruments in a mainstream scene.
What was it like to work with Bramwell Bonte and how did that relationship develop?
– Bramwell smashes any project he has out the park. He’s one of the most creative guys I’ve ever met not to mention one of the kindest and hard working. I literally drive him mental though, I spam him ideas all the time, at stupid o’clock in the morning and then he gets really annoyed but then we’ll come together during a session and everything just works. If anyone has a chance to go to Newcastle and work with a producer I’d 100% recommend doing it with him. We met during an evening with Steven Gerrard event…
How much did he influence the song?
– So again I recorded a demo and brought it to him and he progressed a lot of the string and brass arrangements which then made everything fall into place. Together we changed a lot of the layout of the track but I’ve got to say, he knows how to get the best sounds from instrumental arrangements and makes them sound as big as possible.
Does the new single mean we can expect a new material – how’s that coming along?
– I can confirm that single number two is nearly finished, and I’m very very very excited to put this one out there. That’s all I’m going to say for now!!!
Any tentative release date or title in mind?
– Not saying a word haha!!!
Would you keep exploring other concepts of struggling and life in general?
– 100%, I think it’s really important for artists to go of experiences no matter how rough they are, everyone goes through struggles and music is a cure, so I think it’s super important to write about real things.
Any plans to hit the road?
– I would absolutely love to but right now it’s just me and Bramwell playing all the instruments. It’s the dream to tour with a full band but hopefully that’ll be in the not so distant future!
What else is happening next in Matt and The Beanstalk’s world?
– Well right now I’m just recovering from Wrestlemania weekend, the Hardy Boys returned and won the tag titles so that’s blown my mind! But yeah just writing none stop and trying to get heard by as many people as possible!