Can you talk to us more about your latest single “Grrrl Trouble”?
– ‘Grrrl Trouble’ was the result of the anger triggered in me by the election of a man who advocates pussy grabbing. I was furious and needed somewhere to put the fury. Grrrl Trouble was born! It sounds unlike anything I’ve written before, but it does sound the way I felt the day I wrote it!
Any plans to release a video for the single?
– No plans at the moment – but interesting thought!
How was the recording and writing process?
– It was very fast. With my other songs I always take ages recording and rerecording and tweaking and adding and fine-tuning. But Grrrl Trouble just arrived, and every time I went back to her, she was unapologetically fully-formed and ready to go.
Do you tend to take a different approach when you are writing for another group than when you are writing for your own project?
– It depends what the project is.. When I write for film and tv, it’s a different medium. You have a brief and your opinion is not the ultimate one. It’s the editors, and then the directors and then sometimes after that a board. I find it’s best not to be too attached to your ideas and see it as a separate discipline to writing for yourself, where you can express things in sound in whichever way feels authentic to you.
Does the new single mean we can expect any new material – how’s that coming along?
-I do have new material yes! It’s fairly diverse in feeling and sound at the moment. I’m planning on putting together a record this year and am interested in exploring various facets of human emotion in sound. Grrrl Touble will cover anger quite nicely I reckon! 😀
Do all songs of yours deal with politics?
– No. But all deal with feeling.
Any plans to hit the road?
– Not at the moment, but will hopefully play a couple of festivals later in the year.
What else is happening next in Brave Little Note’s world?
– Just finished a cool ‘sonic seasoning’ project working with a company called Jelly and Gin. Designing sound that influences how you experience the taste and texture of food. Next on the agenda is to start crowd-funding the record! Watch this space! 🙂