1. How would you classify your music?
Americana. Guitar driven singer-songwriter with rock and country influences.
2. Who are some of your top 5 musical influences?
Ryan Adams, Jason Isbell, the Beatles, Lucinda Williams, Chris Knight.
3. What do you want fans to take from your music?
I have been a sideman & session player for most of musical life so having fans is a new thing for me. I always worked and supported other people who had a fan base. I hope that people can find something in my songs that they can relate too. Maybe there’s a line or two that grabs their attention, catches them off-guard, and makes them think and grin or sad and nostalgic.
4. Can you tell us a bit about your latest album? When will it be released and how does it differ from your previous work?
This is my debut album. We just had the release show on 12/30/16.
I started writing songs about three years ago with thoughts of trying to sell them to other artists. I figured that I would make a high quality, produced recording of each song and then we could better shop them to people in Nashville or maybe even people that place songs on TV shows. The last thought on my mind was to put out my own album. But, as I continued to perform the songs live I realized that people were really digging them. And they liked hearing me sing them. I realized that there were a lot of people out there who wanted to own a recorded version of the songs. So we changed direction and decided to an album.
5. What do you love and hate about the Music Business?
I love that anyone, via social media and youtube, can get their music out to an audience. I hate that it is very difficult to make a living from your music.
6. What is the best concert you have been to? What do you like most about playing live?
I have seen Jason Isbell a number of times, in both small and large venues, and each one of those shows had been stellar.
The best part about playing live is the instant feedback that you get. Good, bad, or indifferent.
7. Is there a song on this latest CD that stands out as your personal favorite, and why?
It’s hard to pick favorites. On any given day I might not like any of them! Right now, Twisted and Bent comes to mind. It was the last song that I wrote for the album. The primary influence for the song was a friend of mine who fighting, and losing, her third fight with cancer. On some nights it is still hard to sing that without breaking up.
8. How have you evolved as an artist over the last few years?
My roles have changed. I was primarily a sideman; someone who worked to support and enhance someone else’s vision and music. Now, as the songwriter, I get to do that for myself.
9. If you could meet, play a gig, co-write a song, have dinner, get drunk with any band or artist (dead or alive) who would it be?
10. So tell us what’s next?
Well, at this stage, it’s all about getting this album out there. Radio play, reviews, hopefully some song placements.
Hi Jamala, welcome to VENTS! How have you been? Wonderful, thanks a lot ☺ Can …