– Hey! Thanks for having us. We’re OK. The helicopter pad was busy so we had to get the limo to the studio where we’re working on some records.
Can you talk to us more about your latest single “I Think You Can Do It Better”, and did any event in particular inspired you to write this song?
– We were sitting by the pool in our Hollywood mansion when I (Sydney) asked the butler for some light lunch and cocktails. He only brought wine and cucumber sandwiches. I said to him ‘I think you can do better’ and Cam said ‘that’s it!! That’s the song!!’. 12 seconds later, the song was finished.
How was the film experience?
– It was actually shot on the Star Wars set at Pinewood Studios. We used their green screen technology and the team at Lucas Arts designed a small 3D backdrop to make it look like we’d gone back to our ‘roots’.
How was the recording and writing process?
– It went well – some small mishaps. One of the flamingos died, and we ran out of caviar… you know, the usual stuff.
How did the domestic environment influence the band’s sound?
– Cam likes to listen to Phil Spector in the mansion pool. Sydney has returned from a 6-month Mongolian throat singing retreat, while Rob and Pete enjoyed long walks on the beach. So not at all.
What was it like to work with Adrian Hall and how did that relationship develop?
– A good friend introduced us to Adrian (who is an unbelievable recording and mix engineer). Cam (who produces our records) and him have a great relationship so it’s a very relaxed recording environment.
Does the new single mean we can expect a new material – how’s that coming along?
– Absolutely. We’ll be releasing a line of singles throughout 2017!
Any tentative release date or title in mind?
Any plans to hit the road?
– We try to travel via helicopter.
What else is happening next in The Wild Things’ world?
– Movies, television, radio, new releases, tour – and that is genuinely true!