1) HOW WOULD YOU CLASSIFY YOUR MUSIC?
I’d say it’s Acoustic Pop/Soul w/ hints of R&B.
2) WHO ARE YOUR TOP 5 INFLUENCES?
– DC Talk
– Shawn Mullins
– Justin Timberlake
– Ray Charles
– John Mayer
(Extra): Sam Cooke
3) WHAT DO YOU WANT FANS TO TAKE FROM YOUR MUSIC?
A story–but more so the emotion of that story than the actual events. I think we live in a world that stifles emotions in exchange for confidence, power, or image. I want people to relate to the humanity of the songs, cause no matter how much of the song I took part in writing, I’m still singing it for a reason.
4) TELL US ABOUT “EXPECTED” AND YOUR FORTHCOMING EP, “ART+WORK=LOVE”
“Expected” is a great tune that I started writing a few years back, but was able to finally refine this past year. The story, the groove, and even the title are representative of who I am.
As I’ve played so many cover shows over the years, I’ve been exposed to many genres of music. Eventually, all the mixture of songs start to develop an element of sound significant to me–my personal style. And I think that style is represented well in a live setting for me–but with ‘Art + Work = Love” I now have an album that conveys that same honest representation of “my sound”, and listeners can take it home with them.
5) WHAT DO YOU LOVE/LIKE THE LEAST ABOUT THE MUSIC BUSINESS?
What I love most about music business is performing live–there’s nothing like the energy exchange while with an interactive crowd!
What I like least is the waiting. This business (and most of life) is all about proper timing. You can have all the puzzle pieces, but the timing is everything. It’s what’s most exciting, and yet produces the most anxiety lol.
6) BEST CONCERT PERFORMANCE/ PLAYING LIVE GIG?
So far, probably a tie between singing a show with Jennifer Nettles, or playing at Eddie Owen’s Red Clay theater a couple of years back with an all-star back up band. But who am I kidding, I love pretty much all my shows!
7) HOW HAVE YOU EVOLVED OVER THE PAST 3 YEARS AS A MUSICIAN?
The past 3 years have made me more determined than ever to press on with this musical dream, and to keep evolving my style. I’m just thankful the doors of opportunity have never ceased to keep opening.
8) WHO WOULD YOU DRINK/WRITE/PLAY WITH?
– Drink with: Amos Lee–he has so many funny quotes from live shows, I feel like it would 1.) be hilarious, 2.) I’d prob gain some wisdom.
– Write with: Probably John Mayer or Ray LaMontagne. Some of their lyrics have been the most poignant to me over the years.
– Play with: Justin Timberlake or Dave Matthews. I think would be good to go anywhere musically on the fly, and would have fun doing it!
9) WHAT’S UP NEXT FOR YOU?
Next? Hopefully playing more shows, and spreading the word about this album! Then, down the road maybe even make some sort of slot as an opening act in an arena tour or something–a man can dream!
10) WHAT SOCIAL NETWORK DO YOU PREFER/WHY?
I would say Facebook, because I’m most used to it. It can get a little too heated at times and mildly uncomfortable haha, so then I switch to Instagram. But both emphasize pictures with words–helps to have the visual.
Hi Sol, welcome to VENTS! How have you been? Thank you for having me! I’ve …