Hi Nico, welcome to VENTS! How have you been?
– Thank you! I’ve been good, I’m excited for my record to come out.
Can you talk to us more about your latest single “You Belong To Me”?
– It’s the first song I wrote for the album, at the end of my tenure playing drums with HEK. I was still figuring out how to play guitar, didn’t really even know what key it was in (b flat) when I wrote it, I just was doing some bar chords that sounded good together.
Did any event in particular inspired you to write this song?
– This was written from the perspective of a murderer who felt bad about it, and while I have no experience murdering anyone, I’ve been guilty of doing wrong, so in some ways it’s about me too. It’s also about feeling possisive and how that can be disguised as sweetness, and the grey areas that exist in our motivations.
Any plans to release a video for the single?
– The video will actually be out soon, who knows, it may be out by the time this is published!
The single comes off your new album What A Tease – what’s the story behind the title?
– It refers to the tease of having your long distance lover visit you for a spell and then fly back home, and the ups and downs of being in love.
How was the recording and writing process?
– I recorded the album in two weeks at Fairfax Studios, the former Sound City studios, which has a crazy history of records that were made there. It’s like a pristine church of analog gear, amazing old instruments, tape, etc. I played all the instruments except a few things that my producer Kevin Agunas played. The writing was done over the course of 3 years. I can take a long time finishing my songs, it can be a bit like slowly excercising a demon from myself, but it’s cathartic, even if the songs aren’t always literally about myself, but maybe they always are…
Did murder inspire any other songs on this album?
– No, but I wouldn’t say this song was inspired by murder itself, but rather the way that we feel about things we have done and the ways we deal with that, i.e. guilty admissions, possessiveness, expressions of love.
What role does Romance plays on this record?
– I’m interested in the different sides of things like Romance, the hope and the delusion, along with other contradictions, dark and light, joy and sadness.
How has your upbringing have influence your music?
-Everything in our lives makes its way into us. My parents played old folk and rock records when I was a kid, I grew into a hip hop loving teen, played with a garage rock band, I’ve always loved soul music, all these things work their way in there a little bit.
Any plans to hit the road?
– Definitely! Still planning details but I’m looking to get on the road ASAP.
What else is happening next in Nico Yaryan’s world?
– My full length is out June 3rd! Come and catch me when I’m in your city!